Polytunnel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine started as a twig my old man gave me when I first put the tunnel up a few years ago. I thought it had died but decided to wake up. It had loads of bunches on,10+ ,which for the size was quite good. I need to read up about grapes!
My dad grew some outside just along a fence and they were marvelous, both green and black. Not bad for North Wales!

Mine started as a twig my old man gave me when I first put the tunnel up a few years ago. I thought it had died but decided to wake up. It had loads of bunches on,10+ ,which for the size was quite good. I need to read up about grapes!
My dad grew some outside just along a fence and they were marvelous, both green and black. Not bad for North Wales!
I used to grow bananas, they only fruit once then, a sucker takes over. I read of a woman in the south of England who grew a banana plant and it fruited twice. I suppose with global warming there will be quite a few changes in the species that will grow in the UK.

Had a tour around Chatsworth recently and supposedly virtual all bananas that are eaten today are descended from theirs. Not sure if that was fact, fiction or a bit of poetic license.

Most mangoes in the shops are of the variety Tommy Atkins.
Wonder why they're named that?
I have no idea about Tommy Atkins, Kensington Pride is an Australian favourite. The mandarins I grow are Honey Murcott, I would imagine Murcott being the man, or woman who first cultivated it.

Some hard yakka today in the back paddock, neglected the garden a bit over Christmas 4 hours pinching out and tidying up the tomatoes. Who else doesn't pinch out growth tips on their tomatoes? I always do this time I am leaving some to see what happens. Hoping for a good crop of pumpkins, getting too many zucchini but they are great stuffed when they get oversized.
1704091685055.jpeg
1704091993325.jpeg
1704092146681.jpeg
1704092069650.jpeg
1704092234958.jpeg

Who else doesn't pinch out growth tips on their tomatoes?
Me (but that shouldn't surprise you 😁)

Only plant 2 varieties.
We plant a bush variety makes about 2 foot and just keeping putting up fruit.

The also grow a vine Tom, that can be a bit of a ****. But produces marvellous fruit, about the size of a golf ball. Makes superb sun dried tomatoes.

Me (but that shouldn't surprise you 😁)

Only plant 2 varieties.
We plant a bush variety makes about 2 foot and just keeping putting up fruit.

The also grow a vine Tom, that can be a bit of a ****. But produces marvellous fruit, about the size of a golf ball. Makes superb sun dried tomatoes.
I have 4 varieties, 3 are indeterminate and one is determinate I am letting a few side shoots go this year see what happens. I have far to many, 83 plants but what we don't eat will go into Pasata.

83 😱 I thought I got a metric **** load from 24!. They did eating, 100+ jpassata and 25+ jars of sundried.
How big are the jars? I have 8 mouths to feed including mine. I have enough land and enjoy the challenge of gardening. More so than brewing, stuff up in the garden and it's a year to wait to make amends. I probably give more away than we eat.

Ditto. We too probably give more produce away than we eat. But we do eat fresh, real food.

I enjoy the veg & meat gardening 😁

Prefer winemaking to brewing. Same reason.. Stuff up a ton of fresh grapes and it's a year to wait to make amends.

Lateral tomatoes going along just fine. My hydro toms took a hammering from rats! Found the run eventually, despite announcing vengeance and complete annihilation I have let them be. Obvious they were only after water, put some corn in traps which were totally ignored.
IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

Blimey that is a hammering.

Doing just 2 Tom varieties this year. Campari for sun dried and Russians for everything else, as they are such a good performer. Probably on 5/6th gen seeds now. Brilliant.

Latest posts

Back