Quantcast

Polytunnel

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
I heard a saying...happy wife..happy life...she seems happy with it! Felt like I'd been run over for a week after...weather didn't help..ground frozen then snow stopped us for a week! Got loads of tomatoes, chillies, peppers,cucumber and melons growing in the green house..

GhostShip

Reaction score
That looks excellent! And yet another place to escape to when you feel the need.

What are you planning to grow?

Saisonator

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What variety of tomatoes you growing this year?
I would love a poly tunnel.

terrym

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What variety of tomatoes you growing this year?
I would love a poly tunnel.
Whilst greenhouse toms are without doubt more productive, I grow Gardeners Delight from seed then outside in large pots supported by a cane . They produce enough toms on 5 trusses to make it worthwhile. If you have a south facing wall out of any cold wind, keep them watered and add fertiliser later on you should do OK. And at the end of the season any green ones go in a drawer with a banana to ripen.

And of course well done @Clint. The easy bit is now done however, you now need hours and hours tending to your fruit and veg. :thumb1:

Last edited:

Saisonator

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grow them every year from seed, I was thinking about Gardeners Delight.
Last year I grew Chadwick and Sungold. I fancy a bigger tomato this year too, maybe something like Pantano Romanesco but I will probably have to hope for a good summer to get a decent yield with this variety.

Bigcol49

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grow Gardeners Delight from seed then outside in large pots supported by a cane .
Ay, it's alright for thee in t'soft South; oop in t'North we're lucky to grow tatties, much less tommyartoes :laugh8:.

terrym

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ay, it's alright for thee in t'soft South; oop in t'North we're lucky to grow tatties, much less tommyartoes :laugh8:.
And I'll bet you lived for 3 months in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank whilst sucking on tea dregs from a cloth, whilst working 28 hours a day down the mill. Still the Chateau de Chateau is a consolation. :smile6:

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Looking good! Are you gonna put a hop in there?

Bigcol49

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I'll bet you lived for 3 months in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank whilst sucking on tea dregs from a cloth, whilst working 28 hours a day down the mill. Still the Chateau de Chateau is a consolation. :smile6:
Septic tank? We used to dream o' livin' in a septic tank!
We had it tough!
:laugh8:

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Thanks all! We have quite a few tomato varieties on the go. ..I will have to check. ...yes it is a bit busy but the Mrs is keener than me so I get to do less than half. Hop vine...it had crossed my mind...I have a big fence nearby it would grow along.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Very envious, would love a poly tunnel! Presumably you bought it as a kit? Year round veg now......

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Yeah it came complete. ..absolutely everything. Got it from First tunnels. A few build options available,we went for timber base rails as I didn't fancy trenching the poly cover...although I did with around a foot of it all round to keep the slugs at bay. The frame has plates on the end of every upright and they are buried about 2ft. The base rails slide and secure on the upright and are used to tension the cover.
Instructions were very detailed...just need to read over a few times..but even better are the videos on the Web site showing you how.