poor brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollow Legs

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Had a really awful brew day yesterday, started off cleaning/sterilising everything then crushed the campden tablet, popped it into the liquor tank/boiler and added the required liquor, put my two elements on only to find that just one worked!!!

At the required temp added the liquor to the mash tun and added the grain and left for 90 mins wich gave me just enough time to prep a steak 'n' ale pie for that evening using my Golden Cornbine AG ale from a couple of months ago etc etc. Sparging went well and collected enough wort so went ahead with the boil, boil went ok apart from taking forever to come to a rolling boil (due to the one element) so went on to the wort chilling, AAAAHHHH didn't realise that the chiller was leaking water into the wort (bought a cheap Brupacks Chiller and the clamps for the pipes aren't man enough for the job, you gets what you pay for), only a tad but I ended up with 26 Ltrs instead of 23 Ltrs by the time it had cooled to 18degC.

So will see how it comes out in a couple of months!! hopefully just a bit weaker than the 5% ABV :hmm: good news is that the steak 'n' ale pie was scrummy and today I fixed the element in the liquor/boiler tank. :cheers:

Leaking chillers isn't fun. I always make mine with two downward legs so even if the connections leak they run on the outside of the boiler and no way of getting in, even in total failure.

Hope it comes out Alright :cheers:

Latest posts

Back