Porter Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebridesRob

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have some mild ale malt to use, as I'm coming to the end of a barrel of mild I don't want to make another. I'm saving my pale malt for American & English IPAs, which I want to bottle. So I'm thinking of a "Brown Porter" style beer using Mild Malt that can go into my barrel. I can't think of a problem with this but it seems not to be done as far as the recipes I've looked at is concerned.
More or less following this beer style guide...
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php
...the recipe I've put together is trying to achieve moderate roastiness with chocolate and a significant caramel, nutty character. Going for a subtle smokiness beneath this. Bitterness will be around 30 IBU, which is towards the higher end for the style. Any comments on this? I'm interested in whether anyone thinks I need different mash temp, more roast malt. Also open to suggestions for alternative hops & yeast. I have EKG, Target, Willamette, SO4, GV12 that could be suitable.
Brown Porter; 22l Batch; SG approx 1.045; Mash Temp 68c
Grain bill:
3.5 Kg Mild Malt
500g Dark Crystal Malt
250g Aromatic Malt
200g Low Colour Chocolate Malt
100g Medium Peat Smoked Malt
50g Patent Black Malt
Hops:
25g each of Northern Brewer & Fuggles
Yeast:
Danstar Nottingham.

You maybe want medium crystal for a caramel flavour, dark crystal is more burnt toffee. Which might suit you.

I think the Nottingham is fine. I tend to break style with these types of beer, I like bitterness in my beers, so I aim for around 40 IBU s, to balance the sweetness. But that's my taste.

Thanks for the reply.
I'd be content with the toffee flavour so I'll stick with the dark crystal.
Hops wise, I take your point, I'll split the difference and go with 30g of each = 35 IBU (ish). I've made some pretty low hopped beers so it would make a change.

I think I'd use dark crystal myself. Or half and half perhaps. I like dark crystal in dark beers, and it goes well with black malt.

Well, that's made. Brewed, cooled, yeast pitched and sitting in my newly constructed brew fridge. Loads darker than I expected, which is a good thing because I worried it would be too pale. The colour is within style. I got 22.5 litres, OG is 1.052 the extra gravity partly down to me adding some torrified wheat.

Don't ask me how many IBUs though. :-P

Latest posts

Back