Power Controller for excessive liquid loss in Peco boil.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like @BridgeBrew, I use a 30 litre Cygnet but with one of @foxbat’s power controllers. It works well for me enabling me to maintain a rolling boil whatever volume of wort is in the boiler. Given TETB’s comments, I think I ‘ll fit a fan to increase airflow over the heat sink. Having said that, diluting wort post-boil is a common commercial brewing practice, and I frequently brew at higher gravity then “liquor back” to the desired OG with boiled water during transfer to the fermenter. This enables me to make batches up to 35 litres with a boiler which has an effective starting boil capacity around 27 litres.

Yesterday, I spend quite a bit of time following up on your suggestions. I am making progress and grateful to you for your pointers. So, I want to make it clear to you that in my reply to Bridgebrew concerning adding water to the wort I was in no way disregarding your advice. On the contrary, I think you have put me on a better path and I am busy making progress. I replied to Bridgebrew simply because I was interested in hearing his experience. So thanks again

No worries. I didn't read it as if you were ignoring my advice. Although feel free to do so 😂

Your process sounds absolutely fine. If you're getting higher than predicted OG, but lower than predicted volume into fermenter the.n you just need to start with more water, or dilute back post boil.

Most conversion is done within the first 15 minutes of a mash, but just keep doing what your doing.

On your next brew day, just take loads of notes on volumes and gravity and plug them into some brewing software such as Brewfather or Brewer's Friend.

Water calculations and recipe changes need to be based upon how your brewhouse operates.
You might be glad to hear that in my latest brew my OG was spot on along with my wort volume. Both outcomes the result of adding 1.5L of water after the boil. Looks like I’m on my way at last!

Back