Pressure barrel - plenty gas but no follow-through

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleik

Reaction score
Hi all,

Did a search etc, nothing relating to my particular issue. Perhaps because I'm a massive idiot. Complete newbie.

2 days in the pressure barrel for a primed kit beer I've fermented, and I wanted to turn the tap of the barrel (the balihoo standard one with the ballcock and syphon tube attached to the tap), just to see if there was gas. To my delight, gas! But I thought some liquid would follow. A full turn expelled all the gas, but still no liquid.

Any thoughts? I'm worried I shouldn't have opened the tap, for fear I've let in some oxygen. Also, not sure how I'd rectify the tap fiasco in a sanitary manner.

Hi all,

Did a search etc, nothing relating to my particular issue. Perhaps because I'm a massive idiot. Complete newbie.

2 days in the pressure barrel for a primed kit beer I've fermented, and I wanted to turn the tap of the barrel (the balihoo standard one with the ballcock and syphon tube attached to the tap), just to see if there was gas. To my delight, gas! But I thought some liquid would follow. A full turn expelled all the gas, but still no liquid.

Any thoughts? I'm worried I shouldn't have opened the tap, for fear I've let in some oxygen. Also, not sure how I'd rectify the tap fiasco in a sanitary manner.
As I've said many times on here,if you have a top tap floated kk and your getting gas out the tap and no beer its likely that the float is sitting on its side on top of the beer, had it happen a few times and needs it twisting and re adjusting so the ping pong ball is facing upwards and the bottom of the float actually submersed in the beer

Perfect. I'll do that ASAP, with (I guess) just sanitised gloves, quickly. I'd love to have trawled through for exactly that information but the search function has its limits. Many thanks for the advice.

Perfect. I'll do that ASAP, with (I guess) just sanitised gloves, quickly. I'd love to have trawled through for exactly that information but the search function has its limits. Many thanks for the advice.
don't worry about contamination after 2/3 days carbing as itll still carb up and push the oxygen over the Co2 blanket but if you have co2 gas just purge the o2 out after re sealing the keg and all will be fine:thumb:

Do you reckon I'm better doing this today or in a couple of weeks? Poses either a cleanliness or an oxidation problem doesn't it.

Latest posts

Back