Pretty new made a mistake with crushed chocolate malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowden87

Reaction score
Im pretty new to homebrew and have been brewing for about 3 months. So far all my brew apart from my first one have been a success. Ive got some Black rock miners stout that im drinking now, some raspberry and lime cider which is conditioning in the keg that tastes lovely even though its not ready. Also a coopers ipa which i made with 1kg of spray malt its been in the keg for about 2 weeks and it tastes amazing and theres a nice head on it which stays right to the end of your pint.

Today i thought i would try experimenting i bought a John Bull best bitter kit i added 250kg of sugar a jar of malt extract and i also bought some crushed chocolate malt. I dont know what made me do it but i added the crushed chocolate malt into the fermenting bucket with boiling water when making the brew. Now im left with the bits floating around. Im going to let it ferment then im planning on using to some fine cloth to catch all the bits when syphoning into bottles.

Do you think this will effect my brew and will it still be ok? :cheers:

I don't think the Chocolate Malt is likely to do it any good.

Chocolate Malt is not sterile, and should only be used pre boil or sometimes during the boil, it may well introduce some infection into your brew.
You may be lucky and get away with it though.

I'd be more concerned with the 250Kg of sugar you have added, a quarter of a ton is a lot of sugar ;)

the 250kg of sugar will affect it! did u rob tate and lyle lol? usually u steep the grains at around 70 degrees for 30 mins if you were planning on an extract recipe then boil the wort for an hour, i always put the grains in a grainbag or muslin. i think its got to be at that heat so that it releases the sugars so im not sure what will happen with yours. strain it through a few muslin bags before bottling.

lol oh well ive learnt from it! i did add the malt to 4 pints of boiling water so hopefully it would have killed the bacteria. ill still brew it and let you know the outcome :) sorry i meant 250g lol

If you can, try and remove the grains now and then boil the wort for around 5-10 mins and re introduce yeast once cool. The kit as you have it now will not make a good beer.

The boiling water you added MAY (but probably not) have killed off the bacteria. But without a doubt the amount of chocolate malt in an FV for around a week will taste awful, all the tanins will be extracted and it will taste acrid like battery acid

Runwell-Steve said:
I'd be more concerned with the 250Kg of sugar you have added, a quarter of a ton is a lot of sugar ;)
What was the original gravity I wonder. :lol:
The fun of a typo. ;) or was it :? :lol:
S

Back