Priming 500ml flip top bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do sugar after but only because I usually bottle the few that don't fit in the keg so I'm never sure exactly how many bottles I'll need and don't want to be washing up sugary bottles unnecessarily!

I have bought some syringes and will give Scottyburto's method a go next time. Seems a good idea, and dosage can be easily adjusted.

Good call @Edison - I usually do sugar first because if I get the end of the funnel wet while doing it the other way around it becomes a pain to get the sugar through it. Could always trim an inch off the funnel, it’s not as if the cost the earth I suppose ...

Good call @Edison - I usually do sugar first because if I get the end of the funnel wet while doing it the other way around it becomes a pain to get the sugar through it. Could always trim an inch off the funnel, it’s not as if the cost the earth I suppose ...
Yeah, the way I sanitise the bottles means they're never dry anyway. I've given up using DME because it clogs up at the very mention of moisture, I don't think the difference in sugar source makes any noticeable difference in taste to me. I imagine after a full batch of bottling even caster sugar could clog up, wonder if old school granulated would be different... 🤔

I think if you putting sugar into bottles through a small funnel, however rigorous you are about having the funnel perfectly clean and dry before you start, after a while, it will tend to clog up, even with caster sugar (although it flows a bit better than granulated). I'd put that down to moisture in the sugar as much as anything else. All of which leads me to think I'll try the syringe method in future.

Yeah, the way I sanitise the bottles means they're never dry anyway. I've given up using DME because it clogs up at the very mention of moisture, I don't think the difference in sugar source makes any noticeable difference in taste to me. I imagine after a full batch of bottling even caster sugar could clog up, wonder if old school granulated would be different... 🤔
Agreed, I think that the biggest difference with sugars is time - monos ferment quicker than disaccharides like sucrose.

I have used 2 carbonation drops per 500ml bottle, flip tops and crown caps and when i tested the cider the fizz was spot on.

Back