Priming Hop Tea?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braziliain

Small Batch Brewer
Reaction score
I'm wanting to have a go at adding a hop tea to one of my brews. Looking for a little advice.

Is it usual to add the tea to the bottling bucket?

If so, is it possible to steep the hops in the priming solution?

Do the hops need to be steeped in a wort or just water?

What sort of volume of hop tea would you add to a 10L brew?

What temperature for the steeping?

Thanks for the help!

You best dry hop the beer in the FV after the initial burst of fermentation has nearly subsided.I do a hop tea in a SS coffee pot on the hob with around 3/4 pint of water not getting it above 70C for 20 mins then bung it in the FV with the hops in a muslin net from when I made the tea,5 days should suffice then bottle or keg as usual
I do this for a 23 litre brew 50 gram of hops and i don't worry about adding a little more water to the FV,but boil it first then crash cool to the 70C in a bowl of water or wait for it to cool naturally

I've dry hopped before and it came out great. Was wanting to compare a hop tea really to see if method/outcome is easier/better.

When you say 3/4 pint, is that for a 23L brew? I don't want to dilute my 10L brew too much.

Is the tea still pretty hot when you add it to the FV or do you get it down to room temp after 20mins at 70C?

Hi!
I use a dedicated cafetière to make hop tea. I usually steep at 64C to avoid the myrcene from evaporating. Following the steep I plunge and pour into the bottling bucket.
I see no reason why you couldn't cool your priming solution and then add the hops. I aim for about a mug of water for priming, but perhaps a little more to allow the hops to "brew".
I did read somewhere that hop tea is for flavour, dry hop for aroma.

I've dry hopped before and it came out great. Was wanting to compare a hop tea really to see if method/outcome is easier/better.

When you say 3/4 pint, is that for a 23L brew? I don't want to dilute my 10L brew too much.

Is the tea still pretty hot when you add it to the FV or do you get it down to room temp after 20mins at 70C?
No I crash cool it to around the FV temperature before adding it in

I'm thinking of trying a hop tea but instead of adding to the fermenter I'm thinking of syringing into bottles to maintain the most flavour.Dont know if anyone has tried it but certainly would be worth thinking about.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Latest posts

Back