Priming Sugar for IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telford_QPR

Reaction score
Hi - 1st brew and will be looking to bottle and was hoping canvas opinion on what sugar to use in my bottles? I'm doing St Peters IPA and was going to use 1/2 tsp per bottle of Demera sugar - what do you think?

Cheers everyone

Interesting Mark, I've dropped from a full teaspoon to half because I found mine coming out over fizzy.

I use caster sugar (only because it dissolves easily :D ) but normal sugar is fine, I agree 1/2 teaspoon per pint bottle, great for ales etc. I would use a full teaspoon for lagers though. :thumb:

I usually go 1/2 but have upped it on lighter beers before. I often bottle after 6-7 days fermenting so I always use a half then just incase

Welcome to the forum T.,
Half a teaspoon is plenty as above. Have a search on batch priming as an alternative method.

Cheers everyone - think i will stick to 1/2 tsp. As I am away next week, it'll be near the weekend until I can bottle, so that'll be about 9 days in th FV.

@Springer - I think once I get another bucket I'll batch prime as seems to be a well tried method.

Loving this forum and can't wait to get stuck into my brew...just hope its not a let down !!

For an ale 1/2 a tsp is more than adequate, I prefer to go even lower than that though as I don' like fizzy beers

I use about 1/4 tsp per pint to give a draught beer with a good head and not much gas. drink 1 month later
cheers

Latest posts

Back