Process check please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
I have 2 brews in the brew fridge at the moment, they have finished but I added the dryhops on Monday. Going to give it till Saturday before cooling and then bottling the weekend after.

My question is, on Saturday I will be getting the brews as cold as possible in the fridge, think it gets them down to about 2 degrees. Should I rack them to a clean bucket leaving the debris behind before doing this?

The dryhops are pellets and teabags from Geterbrewed, do I remove these before cooling? Or should I crash as is?

Cheers

I have 2 brews in the brew fridge at the moment, they have finished but I added the dryhops on Monday. Going to give it till Saturday before cooling and then bottling the weekend after.

My question is, on Saturday I will be getting the brews as cold as possible in the fridge, think it gets them down to about 2 degrees. Should I rack them to a clean bucket leaving the debris behind before doing this?

The dryhops are pellets and teabags from Geterbrewed, do I remove these before cooling? Or should I crash as is?

Cheers

Its up to you really. I tend to just leave mine in, but you have less control that way. There is always a chance that you could get some unwanted flavours from the hops if left too long. I've heard about grassy flavours being imparted if left too long, but can't speak from first hand experience.

I would usually chill down to 2°C for a few days with the dryhops in and then on teh day of bottling transfer to a bottling bucket containing the sugar solution. This allows you to leave all the debris behind.
You will find that leaving this for an hour or so before bottling will still deposit some sediment in the bottom of the bottling bucket, why transfer it if you don't have to?

Yeah I always transfer to a bottling bucket, just wasn't sure of the process with having dryhops in there.

Will chill on Sat as planned with them in, should be in for some good aroma :D

If they are pellet hops, the cold crashing will sink them to the bottom. Make sure you give it long enough to get down to a cold temperature. It might take several hours for the fridge to get to 3 degrees but a day or more for the beer to cool down to the temperature of the surroundings.

If they are pellet hops, the cold crashing will sink them to the bottom. Make sure you give it long enough to get down to a cold temperature. It might take several hours for the fridge to get to 3 degrees but a day or more for the beer to cool down to the temperature of the surroundings.

There are some pellets in one of them but in the others they are in a tea bag.

I was planning on cooling for a week so should be long enough for the beer to get down to temp. I fasten my probe to the side of the FV.

Latest posts

Back