Propane burner - or electric??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like an option. I guess the whole point with induction is to use an appropriate pot with enough iron content so it actually works.

Have you got any links to the kit?

If I'm not mistaken, @Halfacrem bought this one to use with a Ss Brewtech 10 gallon kettle

www.nisbets.co.uk/Buffalo-Induction-Hob-3000W

Induction hobs are for more energy efficient than conventional electric hobs or gas. They have an energy transfer efficiency of 84% versus just under 50% for gas, so a 3000w induction hob is not much less powerful than a 7.5kW gas burner.

If I'm not mistaken, @Halfacrem bought this one to use with a Ss Brewtech 10 gallon kettle

Induction hobs are for more energy efficient than conventional electric hobs or gas. They have an energy transfer efficiency of 84% versus just under 50% for gas, so a 3000w induction hob is not much less powerful than a 7.5kW gas burner.

Thanks mate!

Yep, that's the place! They seem to be on permanent sale at the moment. Used with SS Brewtech boil kettle, though my very cheap Amazon bought Buckingham 19L stock pot also works. This fails the much discussed magnet test (which is supposed to tell if a pot works on an induction boiler).

Hmm - this looks good. OK, £100 as opposed to £20 for a 7kw propane burner. But so much more convenient & no big gas bottles to lug around. Probably pay for itself, anyway, in the medium term. Hope my big SS pan is induction compatible!

Hmm - this looks good. OK, ��£100 as opposed to ��£20 for a 7kw propane burner. But so much more convenient & no big gas bottles to lug around. Probably pay for itself, anyway, in the medium term. Hope my big SS pan is induction compatible!

Also no risk of death from poisonous gas... Always a bonus.

A mate of mine has an induction hob in his kitchen and he uses anything stainless on it. I think you can even get an "adapter" for want of a better term, to be able to use an aluminium one.!

Gas v Electric........Gas every time...There is no induction hob powerful enough to boil 32lts of wort.

Well according to a member of another forum, you can. When questioned on just that subject, his response was:

Matt in Birdham said:
Best move I ever made - I used to have a big gas burner and a 50l pot, running off bottled gas. It was expensive, noisy and hot - and swapping the gas bottles was a pain. No problems boiling on the 10g SS pot - I've done 32l boils in 2C ambient and get a nice rolling boil. In the US they manage 5 gallon batches on 1800W induction (they are limited by their 110V power supply) - they are using tricks like wrapping the pot in insulation etc but I haven't needed to do any of that. The great thing about induction is that it is as controllable as gas, with all of the other benefits that electric brings. I brew in the shed on the end of a thick extension cable.

Get out of that one Rommel ;)

dont know if im late to the party but, Ive tried both and prefer electric with a pid controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back