Prosecco beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardySi

Reaction score
Hear me out before the pitchfoks come out! ;)

The sis in law in getting married next year and as usual I've said I'll do a celebration brew for them. Her fella likes most beers equally and when asked what style of beer she'd like she replied prosecco as a joke.

Well there's a challenge I though to myself...

Was thinking something quite pale and dry, with low bitterness and some fruity flavours coming from late hops. I think I need to drink more prosecco for research! ;)

There are plenty of beers finished with champagne yeast, though generally they're high ABV, which I'd rather avoid. Champagne yeast on it's own won't ferment all the sugars in wort so that's probably out. I'd probably go for something crisp and clean tasting as (I read that) prosecco is taken off the yeast quite early and doesn't have much yeasty character.

Any thoughts? I've got a year to get it right so plenty of time for experimentation!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Champagne yeast will make any normalish beer finish very very dry, it seems to be only used in aged Belgium high gravity beers. A larger yeast may be better suited to what you want.

Probably stating the obvious, but you'll want much higher levels of carbonation than normal beer.

There is a recipie for Champagne beer,using Champagne yeast- WY 4021
23 litre batch
60 minute mash and boil
Pilsner malt 3.35kg
Pale malt 1.7kg
Carapils 335gm
Rye malt 335gm
Belgian light candy sugar 1kg
Fuggles 38gm 60 min
Hallertauer 21gm 60 min
Nelson Sauvin 10gm 5 min
Saaz 19gm 1 min
Protofloc 15 min
God knows what it's like:whistle:,copied from Homebrew handbook:) Think it will be pretty damn strong however:drunk::smile:

Burn The Witch!! :lol:

I had a lager made with champagne yeast at the Royal Opera House once. I seem to remember enjoying it. Can't remember the brand though

So you want to brew a Bière de Champagne - HERE. I've only had one example of this, Deus, it was nice but a little too Belgian to be Prosecco like, I think if you hopped and dryhopped with Nelson Sauvin hops you could make something more fruity and wine like that would be quite interesting. You could also age with Wine Barrel chips.

Burn The Witch!! :lol:

I had a lager made with champagne yeast at the Royal Opera House once. I seem to remember enjoying it. Can't remember the brand though

Curious Brew? They have it on tap on a place near me. Not bad for a lager if I remember rightly.

I'd be tempted to go for a saison style recipe, mashed at around 67, dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin. Leave out the dextrine malt and caramalts. Saison yeast can be very vinous, as can lager yeasts.

First find a cat and give it a big drink of water. Wait around 20 minutes......

Tried Sparkling wine/Champagne yeast with pale malt before and it won't eat all that maltose leading to an ester banana flavour. More Belgian than italian if you know what I mean;) But a good wine like beer I did (by accident) was a simple SMaSH of pale malt and Nelson Sauvin. I use CML pale ale yeast and had to tell myself that it wasn't wine. Not prosecco granted, but really quite spooky. Stick a few more bubbles in it and you never know

Latest posts

Back