prune port

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granda

Reaction score
here we go this recipe is adapted from some ive found online any input will be greatly appreciated
1kg prunes
600g raisins
1 lt prune juice?
1.5kg sugar
pectolyse
campden tab
nutrient
champagne yeast

wash,chop and freeze prunes and raisins
add to primary with juice and 2l water,pecto,and campden tabs
leave for 2 days and then add 1kg sugar yeast & nutrient
ferment for 5-6? days
strain and transfer to a dj
top up with rest of sugar and water

what do you think im aiming for a port type wine
thanks

I'd quite fancy making a porty type wine. Can you post pics of the process and let us know how it turns out? how long will it need conditioning for?

i started this the other day with a few changes
i used tinned blackcurrants instead of prune juice(juice and all)
i add 400g grams of sugar to the primary and at the minute its bubbling away nicely
ive no pics as my camera is broke but at the minute its seem ok
i'll keep you informed
as for conditioning id say up to a year

granda said:
as for conditioning id say up to a year

Is that so you can save up for the Bum Fodder required after drinking it?

Saying that my friends old chap used to brew fig and rose hip regularly with tokai yeast, I would take my chances with prune wine first, but only cos I have drank the fig and rosehip, It may as well have been sennapod wine!

UP

This recipe sounds quite similar to the original one posted. It makes a high alcohol Ye Olde Farmer Type brew. The recipe was given by a brewer on the other forum.

(No subject) on: Oct 11th, 2009, 10:23pm
I used Morrison's compressed packs of dates, as they're so much cheaper.
Grannys Date Wine

1kg Stoned Dates
500g raisins
1.5kg sugar
High Alcohol yeast
Pectolase
Yeast Nutrient
This wine is a medium to sweet wine, a rather old fashioned sort of wine that your granny used to make!
It's closer to a sweet sherry than anything else!
Chop up the figs and raisins and put into a clean food grade bucket.
Pour 4 pints of boiling water(two kettles full is about right) over the fruit and add the sugar.
Leave overnight covered with a clean cloth
Next day add the rest of ingredients and 2 pints of cold water.
It should start bubbling within 24 hours.
Stir and mash about a couple of times a day
After 5 days strain off, use a coarse straining bag that you can buy off us. Or, improvise if you must with muslin
or the net curtains.
Put into a clean demi john and fill to the shoulders with cold water.Fit an airlock and leave to ferment out at room temperature.
This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature.
When the bubbles stop coming through the airlock, or slow down to about one every 2 minutes test the wine.
You can use a hydrometer or just taste it, if you like the taste go on to the next step. If you think it's too sweet, hard luck because we warned you before you started! If too dry you could add more sugar and go for even more alcohol. Just add 50grams of sugar at a time until it really stops fermenting. But you won'tusually get much more in!
Add 1 campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
Leave to clear.
When clear, syphon into a clean demi john or bottle.
If it's too dry you can sweeten with sugar but keep a check that it doesn't start fermenting again. Leave it a couple of
weeks then add a campden before bottling.

Cheers Neil

so im back now and the porty wine is ready to be racked and it should be at 18%and it tastes delish
im just going to let it clear by itsself and then bottle so it will hopefully be ready for xmas
i dont have the exact recipe (sugar amounts and so on )as my youngest son thought it would be fun to paint on the pages (lesson learnt)
i think i added about1.2kg of sugar altogether and the fg was 1015or1010 but then again every wine is different

unclepumble said:
I bet this one tastes quite good, But I think It would have to be a sipping wine, 1/2 a bottle and I think your going to Know where your "prune port" is.

UP
:rofl:

Latest posts

Back