Pump Help please..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtons Shed

Reaction score
Hi all I need a replacement pump and just got a few questions;

I'm replacing a solar panel/little brown 12v pump that I didn't have much luck with it just seemed to struggle to pump even cold water from the HLT to the MT at less then 2ft of head kept cutting out not sure if power supply was an issue I was using an old model train set controller with the twist knob to vary voltage. I'm now looking just to have done with it and go for a 240v jobbie so I've been looking at something like a Chugger/March 815 or Totton, my set up is;

Single tier 9 Gallon (converted beer kegs/keggle) Herms using silicone hose with a poor mans barb ie 15mm tube inside silcone hose with jubilee clip and nut & olive on end, I want the pump to go from HLT to fill mash tun then disconnect from HLT to MT and recirc around the 10mm copper pipe heat exchanger inside a small domestic kettle, for the mash and then from mt to boiler then boiler through plate chiller to FV - the false bottoms aren't the best (currently using copper manifolds but once working pump I will get a false bottom) so needs to be able to handle a bit of resistance in terms of bits of grain/hops as well as slight narrowing on the silicone hose at either end qith the copper tube ( I've read the chuggers aren't too good on this front of restrictions in pipework?)

my questions are;

Are the mains powered 240V better (more powerful, more robust) then the small 12V? - The flow rate and head heights seem similar just worried a more expensive pump is similar in performance to the 12V?

Can these pumps be used in the UK most I've seen are 115V/sold in US and not 240v - Last time I inquired March suggested they can't be used on UK power supply?

Where is the best place to source one from to the UK without getting charged Customs, or at least a rough idea of total cost inc customs to UK
Ideally I don't want pay more than £100 in total for a medium pump for a a small hobby brewery.

Finally whats the best one to go for? I'm leaning towards March 815 if can use in UK and not charged customs from say Moor Beer works out about £100

I've also just seen [FONT=&quot]http://powellbrewing.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=pump&product_id=72
UK supplier at £85 the on;y issue is says max temp at 85 degree c will this be ok to pump out boiling wort from boiler to plate chiller as well as mash recirc?

Thanks Andy
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back