Pumpkin Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Insert Witty Comment Here
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at brewing this years ago but pumpkin puree and 'all spice' was difficult to source.

My local Sainsburys now has both so will be tomorrow's brew which I intend to serve this bonfire night with a few friends & family.

Has anybody brewed one?

EDIT: Recipe Finalised

https://share.brewfather.app/sDb4xgvbvD6dT3

Last edited:
I looked at brewing this years ago but pumpkin puree and 'all spice' was difficult to source.

My local Sainsburys now has both so will be tomorrow's brew which I intend to serve this bonfire night with a few friends & family.

Has anybody brewed one?
No. But I keep seeing it American websites. Probably thanksgiving thing.
What recipe are you using?
May I ask why you're waiting for puree to come into the supermarket when we're already in "pumpkin season"?

I've not even thought of making one but I did pick this up from Tesco the other day. Will try it on the weekend I think.
20230926_153338.jpg

I've brewed a pumpkin ale, well, almost pumpkin, I actually couldn't find a pumpkin so I used a butternut squash which the recipe said would be a good substitute. It was awful, absolutely dreadful. Fun to brew though, I roasted the butternut squash with sugar and spices before adding to the wort. I had high hopes but the final product was terrible.

Here in the Frankreich we regularly get beer brewed up with chestnuts. It's equally ghastly. Doesn't mean the pumpkin beer can't be done though. Back in the day I used to to the annual Pumpkin and Sausage festival at the Square and Compass. (I see it's still on: Pumpkin & Beer Festival ) After the weigh in, the pumpkins were just rolled down the hill and smashed up. What a waste! Some of them had to be craned off the pickup. If I see any citrouille knocking around, probably around hallowe'en, I'll brew one up and see if I can ake anything decent out of it.

I did one years ago...
Chopped a small pumpkin into slices,seeds etc removed. Sprinkled with brown sugar and mixed spice. Roasted it in the oven until soft. Scraped all the flesh into a sanitised fv and made up to 40 pints with a Tom Caxton ale kit and a tin of malt extract...I think! I kegged it in a pb and it wasn't half bad...my mate certainly swigged a lot of it.

A good few years I made a made a Pumpkin Pie Porter. Added a couple of cans of Libby's to the fermenter along wih lactose, vanilla, cinammon and nutmeg.

From memory it was decent enough. By all accounts Pumpkin doesn't add much to the flavour, but I still wanted to use it.

Please report back how it turns out.

Sounds delicious! I have made several pumpkin beers (actually first AG I did was a pumpkin ale!) as I enjoy them. I hope you enjoy yours!

Brewed one last year. Waited until after Halloween to get the pumpkins really cheap. Made a pumpkin/coffee ale. The beer turned out just about ok but brew day was a right faff. I think I used 3 pumpkins and still had to top up with puree because I used diced pumpkin as a 'dry hop' addition. All in all, I don't think I will bother doing it again. But good luck; hope yours turns out better than mine.

https://beerandbrewing.com/elysian-punkuccino-recipe/

It wasn’t very spicy from the kettle so I couldn’t chucked another 1/4 tsp of each spice in the FV

Attachments

• IMG_7888.jpeg
    IMG_7888.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7889.jpeg
    IMG_7889.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
Pumpkins don't have all that much flavour so won't the spices overwhelm it? I would have thought something like a light ale with plenty of pumpkin in the mash.

Latest posts

Back