Question about Caxtons Dark Real Ale kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdave

Reaction score
Been bubbling away nicely since Wednesday so after 5 days I'll start taking readings. Those that have done this kit before, how long did you leave the bottles to mature before you had a nice pint. Would 3 months be about right? I can't check the instructions and the cat got to them last night and chewed them to bits lol

I'll give it a try after 4 weeks and see whats what. Yeah 3 months is going to be tough especially if it's good after 4 weeks! This batch is going to be for Christmas as my brother-in-law is coming over to stay with us for Christmas and New Year and I've promised him I'll keep him in beer :drink: Might have to do another brew before then though if this one goes well :cheers:

Just took my first reading of this brew and I need some advice. Poured some out and it smelt good (really good) but it had an almost slight milkyness to it ( a bit like when Guiness is first poured) which threw me a bit. Head retention was really good which is something I've always struggled with so hopefully this will continue through to the finished product. The reading was approximatley 1012. So my questions are:

1. Is the milkyness something to be concerned about?

2. Is the reading ok at this stage?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I would refer to my previous brew notes but I can't find the damn thing! Think the Mrs "tidied it up" or "put it in a safe place" :roll:

Sounds to me as if you need to leave it alone for a while longer. It may get no lower than 1012 but leaving it for a few days after fermentation has finished can be a good thing. It gives the yeast a chance to "Clean up". I find that if I give it 2 full weeks in the FV it clears quicker and tastes better.

I found with that kit that it was best to leave it in the fv for 14 days then bottle nearly clear beer leave to prime for a week then move to a cooler place for another week then drink :drunk:

Latest posts

Back