Question about volume of water & ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purewhitesnow

Reaction score
Hi guys, just about to try my first ever BIAB and just got a few questions, hopefully you can steer me in the right direction.
I am using a 17L cook pot and not sure how much strike water to use.
I am wanting to do a relatively small batch, hoping to end up with about 8-10 litres in the bottles, after the mash and boil.
Allowing for evaporation and grain absorption and trub, how much water should I start with? (there will be no sparging)

Secondly, how much grain will be required for this quantity of liquid?

Thirdly, if using hop pellets instead of whole hops, how much do I need to use when following a recipe which uses whole hops?
For example, if the recipe suggests using 10 grams of whole hops, how much would this equate to in hop pellets?

Not sure on exact volumes but you will presumably be using about 2kg ish of total grain which I would guess would absorb about 3 litres by my experience. (I find grain absorbs about 1.5L per kilo when I BIAB)

Evaporation for a 60 minute boil I'd guess about 2-3 litres from my experience.

So maybe mash 13-15L to end up at 8-10L after the boil. If the volumes aren't spot on for the first time you can top up and note down the volume needed which you can add at the start next time

Pellets seem to be about 10% less required than leaf so about 9g of pellet for 10g equivalent of leaf. I don't think the factor varies between varieties or when its added in the boil.

Here's a very useful recipe calculator.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

Latest posts

Back