questions before i brew my first larger kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alanc16

Reaction score
ive read the back on the packet and see that there will be sediment in the bottles when capped, iis there anyway i can bottle without sediment?
would carb drops work if there was no sediment?

The sediment is created as the lager is carbonated. The only way to get past it is to force carb your beer in a keg and then dispense to bottles via a wand. It's a fairly large outlay to get all the equipment together.

You can reduce the sediment by transfering it to a secondary FV for a few days prior to botteking, you wont get rid of it totaly, as the second fermentation process is what gives you the co2 in your bottle, making it fizzy

what about if i racked itr a few times until crystal clear then bottle, add carb drops befor capping ?

Alanc16 said:
what about if i racked itr a few times until crystal clear then bottle, add carb drops befor capping ?

It's the carbonation that causes the sediment, there is no way to get past it other than force carbonating in a keg.

I swear I wrote that earlier :hmm:

Alanc16 said:
what cost am i looking at for a keg and everything else needed ?

Corny keg with all the trimmings will set you back around £80. From that you can either dispense directly via a tap or you can buy a beer gun to dispense into bottles.

The beer gun works out about £75 iirc, including all the fittings.

You'll also need to rent a CO2 bottle, generally around £20 per fill + a deposit £20-£50 approx.

On top of that it's recommended to have a fridge so that you can chill the entire corny keg. Chilling the lager while force carbonating allows the CO2 to be soaked up better and you won't lose it when transferring between bottles. If you do it while warm, and then chill the lager you might end up with a lot less fizz than you would expect.

I've got everything other than the CO2 bottle and the beer gun, I plan to do it at some point but it's a big hassle. I don't mind the sediment, careful pouring does away with any worries.

Back