Racking and Bottling Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley.h

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am making my first kit (of many) this weekend, a MYO stout kit, and I have a question for some advice please.

The place in my house that has the most constant temp around 19 degrees is beside my wardrobe upstairs and it’s nice and out the way so it won’t be kicked or knocked. When it come to siphoning this off into a bottling bucket to start filling bottles. Rather than trying to carefully take the fermentation bucket down the stairs, would it be ok to carefully lift it onto a stool in the bedroom and then siphon into a bottling bucket then take that bucket outside to do the bottling up, rather than trying to do all the bottling in the bedroom and risking a mess haha.

Hope that kind of makes sense.
Ash

While it's perfectly doable...sooner or later you will spill or splash something..wort of beer isn't the thing to be splashing into carpets. My bottlingexploits are all conducted in the kitchen...the first thing I do us chuck a towel on the floor.

Do you have a bath upstairs? Would it be too much of a job to take either bucket to it?
Also a plastic tray over a towel will help catch any spillage. There shouldn't be much as it's a waste of beer!

Guys just a quick thought on the blow off tube... How large does the tube bore need to be? Can I use the tube that comes on my siphon cane (Wilko one)?

I use the wilko one that has a tap on one end, this fits perfectly in the rubber bung on my fermenter and the other end in a bottle on water

While it's perfectly doable...sooner or later you will spill or splash something..wort of beer isn't the thing to be splashing into carpets. My bottlingexploits are all conducted in the kitchen...the first thing I do us chuck a towel on the floor.
I still run some fermentations in my home office (Teams get's a blurred background for those weeks) and use one of these when syphoning to protect the carpet:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XXJWK58/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
Anna

I use the wilko one that has a tap on one end, this fits perfectly in the rubber bung on my fermenter and the other end in a bottle on water
Thanks, I’ll see how mine fits into the grommet in my fermenter bucket lid later when I get home from work. I was worried I would need to try and get a large diameter tube by the weekend and drill larger holes in the lid.

Thanks, I’ll see how mine fits into the grommet in my fermenter bucket lid later when I get home from work. I was worried I would need to try and get a large diameter tube by the weekend and drill larger holes in the lid.
You can also cut the bottom off an old bubbler/air lock with then fits nicely onto the end of some syphon tubing and then into the grommet on the fermenter:

img_0102-jpeg.32748

Anna

Hi Everyone,

I am making my first kit (of many) this weekend, a MYO stout kit, and I have a question for some advice please.

The place in my house that has the most constant temp around 19 degrees is beside my wardrobe upstairs and it’s nice and out the way so it won’t be kicked or knocked. When it come to siphoning this off into a bottling bucket to start filling bottles. Rather than trying to carefully take the fermentation bucket down the stairs, would it be ok to carefully lift it onto a stool in the bedroom and then siphon into a bottling bucket then take that bucket outside to do the bottling up, rather than trying to do all the bottling in the bedroom and risking a mess haha.

Hope that kind of makes sense.
Ash
This is a perfect thread for me as I too will be starting a Brew Monk malt kit - Fallen Angel Dark Gabriel this Thursday.

I do not have chilling capabilities so plan to use the no chill method. I am using a 20L glass wine jug. After finishing the wort, my plan is to siphon the hot liquid into this glass jar and cap it. Slowly cooling wort overnight. Pitching the yeast the next day.

The blow off tube seems like the way to go and that is highly appreciated. Any other advice is welcomed.

You can also cut the bottom off an old bubbler/air lock with then fits nicely onto the end of some syphon tubing and then into the grommet on the fermenter:

img_0102-jpeg.32748

Anna

Thanks for the idea Anna, my tube didn’t fit through the grommet so I went to Wilko and grabbed a pack of bubblers to butcher 😀, I also brought an extra siphon cane from there as well and used the tube just to make the blow off tube so I didn’t have to clean the tube out before I used it for siphoning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 36
Once your beer is bottled, if you're going to secondary ferment those next to the wardrobe, the last thing you want is bottle bombs. By ensuring your beer has fully finished primary fermentation, it's very unusual to then get issues with the bottles, BUT, better safe than sorry. If you don't have cardboard boxes, get some from the supermarket and tape the lids down once the bottles are inside. I'd then sit the boxes on an old towel or on newspapers, just in case of a leak. Perhaps drape a towel or blanket over the top as well. It's unlikely, but you don't want beer all over your bedroom (though now I mention it, that actually sounds quite appealing).

Latest posts

Back