Racking / carbonation confusion in pressure barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheshed

Reaction score
Hi there

In my haste to post yesterday I put this in equipment by mistake so apologies for that! I'll try in the right place now instead!!!

I'm new to all grain and pressure barrels and I've had a bit of a search but am still confused...

I've made a couple of all grain lagers, fermented out to the correct gravity at 12 degrees in my fermenting fridge and have transferred to Wilko pressure barrels to condition at 4 degrees primed with a DME solution to carbonate.

Should I have held them at room temp to carbonate for a couple of weeks before the 4 degree condition or will they carbonate over the next 6 weeks or so in the cold fridge (it's one of these big shop coca cola fridges I blagged off of a mate in exchange for good beer!!!)

They've been in there a few weeks but have no fizz at the moment...another batch that I have bottled and held at room temp for 2 weeks has a nice little bubble to it.

My recipe doesn't say anything about room temp storage before the 4 degree condition hence why I've chucked them straight into the big chill...

Thoughts and advise much appreciated - taste great already without a bubble...

Cheers people..

Latest posts

Back