raspberry and black berry wine anybody ? fragrant wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_ysk

Reaction score
upon stumbling this forum. i am interested to try out aromatic wine. you know my raspberry smells wonderful. when i mix raspberry with sugar, it smells so irresistible, so fragrant and sweet. i always tried to taste a bit..

my question is now this:
since raspberry is so fragrantful, how to "hold" the aroma back without get destroyed during the whole process of wine making ?
anybody have idea about it ? often during the process of wine making, the aroma gone.

my neighbor, and old person from Croatia , used to gave me a bottle of his own distilled wine..made of raspberry.. oh boy, that sweet wine is wonderfully aromatic..

since then i have always wanted to know how to keep the aroma and fragrant of the raspberry inside the sweet wine.
does aroma sink in alcohol or water ? or syrupy sugar liquid ?

The best way is to add more fruit later in the ferment or once the ferment has finished. It tends to be the early frenetic fermentation that can force the fragrance out of the wine. If you're making a sweet wine you use a yeast that will reach it's alcohol tolerance before all the sugar is fermented, if more fruit juice is added at this point it shouldn't start the ferment again.

i have a few questions in regarding:
1. will by adding berries after fermentation not reduced the total alcohol % ? will that not causing issue ?
2. by adding berries into a finish fermented wine, will it causes spoilage ? or at least early spoilage ? can no longer store longer ?
3. how much berries to add per liter or gallon ? in order to impart a aromaticness to the wine ?
4. i think your theory is to add fruit as late as possible, and as near to consuming it as possible, so the aroma won't "vaporized" .. because i believe all aroma are very active component that will break down over time no matter how we preserve it.. due to enzyme effect.. pls correct me if i am wrong.
5, why not just buy the highest proof distilled alcohol which have not taste and pour in filtered original berries juice and add appropriate amount of sugar to it ? so that the final total alcohol is 14 - 18%.. why not do such thing ? ** that is one question i have always wanted to know the answer for many years.. never got the courage to ask such stupid question.. but i did saw some youtuber did that.. and i do know some asian do such thing. they bought the distilled highest possible alcohol and dumped in as much cherry as possible to infuse the essence of cherry into the wine.. what's different this kind of infused wine to properly made cherry wine ?

6. could you intro me which yeast or what to look for to find the suitable yeast ? i would like my sweet wine to be as high alcohol as possible, so can store longer. isnt' that gonna be champagn yeast as well ? i hav no interest in low alcohol wine.

sorry, i asked too much..
pls don't be overwhelmed by my "doubts in mind"
thanks
The best way is to add more fruit later in the ferment or once the ferment has finished. It tends to be the early frenetic fermentation that can force the fragrance out of the wine. If you're making a sweet wine you use a yeast that will reach it's alcohol tolerance before all the sugar is fermented, if more fruit juice is added at this point it shouldn't start the ferment again.

hii, can you shed some light regarding my previous posted questions 👆above ?
also, i just pitched my yeast on 14 aug, and today is 23 aug.. the fermentation is totally stopped (unexpected, most like because i added 2 tsp of yeast with 1 gallon of berry must.). so fast ? now what should i do ? leave it or rack it ? i have more berries with a lot of sugar added (stored in fridge) for 2 weeks already (forgot to use it), will i screw it if i add it in now ? or better not else screw up.

i also realized berries syrup that have a lot of sugar added in fridge will also ferment.. but slowly..
initially i added in a lot sugar and left it in fridge, with mindset that a lot sugar added to it will stop it from fermenting, and since it is in liquid form, the aroma of berries will not disappear. that's why so sugar added to berries and left in fridge until forgot.

Back