Rather pleased with this...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:clap: Superb shot :clap:

I think your feedback on MEB's pics was fantastic, none of us will learn anything about anything without feedback like that ;)

(now watch the handbags swing when the forum brew tasting night is upon us :lol: )

Top pics guys - can't wait until i've bagged something worth posting - mostly kids and great crested grebe today :grin:

Nice photies gents however this one will have you quaking in your brewing boots :lol:

Brian.JPG

This is Brian the Buzzard, I snapped him with a point and click digital that's nearly 8 years old :lol: I spent all of about three minutes to get the shot, the falconer was courteous enough to fly him between me and my good lady friend!

I got her a days hunting with hawks in the dales as part of her Christmas Box it was class, we saw loads of birds in the morning and she got to fly a bald eagle then after lunch we had a wander over the hills with a couple of harris hawks and f*cked up some rabbits - a grand day out. I saw a wild peregrine going full tilt that day too, 200mph of hungry predator is an awesome sight indeed.

Thats a great shot JP I love the way the bird just looks like it's checking you out :cool: it sounds like a great day out too. A mate of mine would love that sort of thing, do you still have the details that you could PM or email me please :)

J_P said:
NThis is Brian the Buzzard, I snapped him with a point and click digital that's nearly 8 years old

Thats quite an achievement, I like the way you have even managed to get a catchlight in the birds eye . . . I'd guess a burst of fill in flash was used.

I've often thought about getting a falconer to fly a bird on a lure, and use a wide angle lens to get the bird as it was coming in with talons extended for the kill . . . Not had a falconer with the guts or confidence in the bird to do it yet though

Aleman said:
J_P said:
NThis is Brian the Buzzard, I snapped him with a point and click digital that's nearly 8 years old

Thats quite an achievement, I like the way you have even managed to get a catchlight in the birds eye . . . I'd guess a burst of fill in flash was used.

I have absolutely no idea what that means there Aleman, I'm not even sure the flash went off, I'd just put it down to blind luck :lol:

Bobo said:
these are the best 3 i've taken.
DSCF1534.jpg

critise away.

Nice pics Bobo - what actually is that in pic no2?

On the 3rd pic that i've quoted I have one small critism if you dont mind :oops: in the background, just to the right of the subject the female should 100% be wearing a bikini, maybe even without a top :hmm:

(sorry - i'll get my coat)

Great pics :thumb:

Pic 2 is a spinning disney light toy. You can make out tink on the top. I agree bout the woman to.

Ok

Beginners warning

I took some pics at Kingsbury Water Park today and I kinda like this one, all the pics I took today were 'snaps' please tell me what you think :oops:

KingsburyWaterPark091-1-1-1.jpg

One of my recent favs, it's a very busy shot though. The focus area is the head, though for some strange reason some of the surroundings (rock to the right) are very clear, thought the vegetation to the left of the rock is out of focus, though equidistant to the camera :wha:

CIMG0276912x684.jpg

Aleman said:
jonnybeer said:
and can't imagine the time, patience and skill to take this quality of shot.

Yeah I can't remember who said it but it sums things up. Upon being complimented on an excellent wildlife photograph finishing with the remark, "You were So Lucky to get that!" the photographer replied "Yes, and the more often I go out and take photographs the luckier I get" ;)

Can I just say that my comments were meant to be constructive (And MEB has taken them that way). My photography tends towards studio and still life work (I prefer subjects that can't fly, run, walk, ooze away) but from the little I have done I can appreciate the hard work that goes into it.

This is a Griffon Vulture I was 'lucky' to get a couple of years ago (I only spent 2 hours sat in the midday sun waiting for it) . . . The Steppe Eagle was just too fast to capture with the kit I had.

GriffonVulture_EPZ.jpg

I don't 'get' landscapes either, I mean they are pretty but :wha:

Awesome Aleman, sat and looked at it for a good 5 mins. until some nosey bugger came in the office.

Hats of to you.

jb.

Thanks for the kind comments about my pic's. :cool:

My comments on yours are as follows.
Aleman's Vulture is about as good as you can get without a bigger/faster lens and then spending a millenium in Photoshop. I love the way the shoulders are in shadow-giving emphasis to the birds bulky physique.
JP's Buzzard is very cool but the washed out sky lets the shot down. As he says it was taken with a point and shoot cam. Just goes to show you don't need flash kit to get a great shot. But you gotta be in the right place at the right time.
Bobo's three are interesting. The waterfall is nicely composed but i would have used a slower shutter speed and taken my reading for exposure from the area at the bottom which is the brightest point and then stepped down two to three points. The blown out highlights at the bottom have no detail in them at all. The spinning top is wicked.
Personally i hate seeing Orca in captivity. Good capture though.
Wez's Grebe is great. Nice exposure and composition, shame about the shadow on the water going through the Grebe's head. Hats off to you for your cam purchase. Your gonna love it. And thats coming from a Nikon nut. ;)
I like V1's dog. I think the rocks and tufts of grass suit the dogs stature and slight sruffiness. :D

I like the challenge of Photographing nature. I like Landscapes but don't see the point in still life? Not done much studio stuff so not sure there. But thats one of the great things about photography-there are so many different fields in which to graze. :D :D :D

MEB said:
Thanks for the kind comments about my pic's. :cool:
Bobo's three are interesting. The waterfall is nicely composed but i would have used a slower shutter speed and taken my reading for exposure from the area at the bottom which is the brightest point and then stepped down two to three points. The blown out highlights at the bottom have no detail in them at all. The spinning top is wicked.
Personally i hate seeing Orca in captivity. Good capture though.

Thanks for the comments. Been meaning to take a short photography coarse for ages so I can take better pics. I would have strugged to use a shutter speed any lower as it was taken without a tripod, but thanks for the info on how to improve any similar pics I may take in the future,

I also need a new camera.

I took this picture at a zoo, although I like the picture it also makes me feel kinda sad

TwycrossZoo118.jpg

Not Bad Wez, can be really difficult to get a good image in a Zoo setting I hope you don't mind but I had a play in Photoshop

TwycrossZooForWeb.jpg

Apart from cutting off the chimps feet (Criminal really he's not moving much ;) ) you haven't filled the frame with the subject . . . OK you could be saying look at this sad little chap in this truly awful pen. Also the auto metering on your camera hasn't helped a great deal as its rendered everything as mid grey, where as you really want the black on the fur to stand out.

What I did in photoshop was to Crop the subject, use a levels adjustment to boost the contrast, then a copy layer with Gaussian blur to hide the marks on the background. Sharpen the layer on top, and then use a mask to let the blurred area come through

Thaks for the feeback aleman :thumb: I like what you've done with the pic, I can see i'll have to invest in photoshop :hmm:

Wez said:
I can see i'll have to invest in photoshop :hmm:

Wez, I use photoshop because I have it, but at 500 Quid plus for the full version it is a little bit of an extravagance. Elements at around 80 quid contains much of the facilities you will need on a regular basis. The Gimp of course is free, but I never really got on with it, and Paint Shop Pro is OK, but a bit clunky. Also most of the 'tutorials' out there are for PS/Elements so if you want to learn, then you are looking at one of those two.

Adobe do a 'student' edition of PS CS3 for around 90 quid IIRC, so enroll on a photography course at your local college and save yourself the best part of 500 quid!

I use Gimp mainly coz its free and being opensource the are plenty of tutorials knocking about :thumb:

You can also get Gimpshop which is a derivative of the Gimp made to work and feel as close to PS as poss ;)

This is more indicative of the work I normally do, I've been debating if I should post it, and certainly others from this and other shoots will not appear here . . .
lozie.jpg

Funny thing is that apart from the basic conversion to mono, there is very little photoshop work on this. All the blurring effect is as a result of my wonderful little Lensbaby 3G . . . . You pay a small fortune for a high res dSLR and then shove a piece of cheap glass in front of it :lol:

Latest posts

Back