raw ale / no boil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gar

Reaction score
hi, new here
has anyone tried brewing a raw ale?
I've just tried my first.
it looked and smelled good, but lacking flavour. came out to 4.4%.
I'm going to have another go this weekend.
first time I mashed at 65c, next time i'll go for 70c to try increase body / maltyness.
I'm also upping the hops, adding to sparge and hop tea to FV.
any more suggestion?
how do you add photos here?
cheers

I did a small batch during the summer. I used Lallemand Belle Saison yeast which was calculated to get to about 6% abv. I didn't check the fg so i don't really know, but from my experience of using that yeast, it probably got stronger. It did not lack flavour, but i was pretty generous with the bitter hops, making a hop tea which was in a thermos for about 45 minutes (it would have been about 45 IBU if boiled for the same amount of time). Any aromatic hops were just accentuating the flavour produced by the yeast, saisons are a vi special that way.

Sorry if I butchered the language, I blame the phone for all of it... ;)

Edit: I do think that 68 degrees C would be enough though.

I have done 3 so far. The 2nd i forgot to add any hops until just before lautering and the beer somehow got oxidised. Depending on the syle i might add a hop tea before fermentation as well. I have only made saisons though so its more yeast focused. Let us know how it goes i will be making more at some point.

1st batch was drinkable, 2nd went down the plug hole.
dropped to SG 1000, I guess infected, smelled and tasted rank, it never improved.

Thats a shame. I reccomend a mashout to ensure full pasteurisation. My last one a raw stout went down well. I am going to do a raw kolsch next. Will hold it at 75c for 30mins and do a steep. Then i am going to add some pre isomerised hop oil.

Did a Saison last year, using Belle Saison. I found I got a totally different flavour from the malt without the boil, very much like a non-sour berlinerweisse. I brewed a 10L, 4.7% batch using Pale Malt (92%), Wheat Malt (6%) and Flaked Rye (2%). Mashed at 65C for 10 minutes followed by a 10 minute mash out. Hopped with 60g of First Gold added at dough in and then another 40g stirred in with 20 minutes to go. Beersmith estimated 35 IBUs, which tasted about right. It was very hazey out of the FV, but actually dropped quite clear in the bottle after a couple of weeks. I kept half the batch uncarbonated, as would be the way in ancient times.

Back