Re prime ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is it possible to prime beer a second time
I've realised pressure barrels are not suitable for my favoured carbonation levels
I'm into my second pb now beautiful head no fizz
I have another one conditioning now and don't think I can drink another flat beer
Could I bottle from the pb and prime again
Any one ever try this or anyone got an idea to get fizzy beer

Well, I haven't tried this, but I know you can re-prime a barrel with a second lot of sugar to increase pressure instead of using Co2, so I don't see why this wouldn't work for bottles. Just make sure the original lot of priming sugar is fermented out to avoid accidentally overpriming the bottles.

Absolutely can prime multiple times. If you're tapping it from a plastic pressure barrel then try and guage what carbonation is in it. Beer straight out of a fermenter has about 0.86 volumes, pressure barrels go up to about pffft, 1.8 vols if the kegs right near the limit so I'd knock that down a few points. So guess at that and then tweak the amount of sugar on the priming caluculator

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
EDIT : You can use a corny keg like a huge bottle. I'm out of gas and haven't got more yet and I've just been priming the keg up hugely to 3.5 vols. My mates just got 2 cornys and effed off his 4 pressure barrels because you do it like that.

Last edited:
Back