Really stupid pump question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
Everytime I brew I run cleaner/hot water through the system to flush everything. However, as my pumps are primed with gravity, that always leaves some liquid in the system.

How do you get this out? Or do you just live with it in your next brew?

K

I would have thought the tiny bit of cleaning water in the system would cause you no problem....as long as it doesn't contain something like bleach.
Perhaps at the end of your cleaning routine run a litre or two of clean water through the system.

Ironically, that's what I do.

Normal regime is empty everything then add either Oxyclean or VWP. I then run it through both pumps for abotu 20 mins then pump into the drain. After that I fill it full of water and re-circ that. After about 20 mins I pump it out to the drain.

Therefore it's only about a litre or two of water that's kicking around. Just wanted to know if I was missing something obvious regarding drainage.

K

I have got John Guest fittings on mine, so detach it and tip everything out. I don't like the idea of water going stale in there. :hmm: The fittings are rated at 55 degrees, but have not given me any bother. :D
S

Yes but its the contents thats left in it that I don't fancy Mark.
Would you drink a glass of water that had been left poured and exposed to the air for days or weeks, might just be me. :hmm:
S

Fair point, but I use mine in my bottle wash process with Oxy,which is only at 35 degress. :D
S

Mark1964 said:
i wash bottles the old way witha sodding brush :rofl:
Got fed up with that Mark. :lol:

You probably remember this My ideas on bottle washing But maybe useful to someone . :D

Never did get round to doing the original concept, but now wash 24 at a time, soon turns out 100 or so. :D
S

Latest posts

Back