reciepe for peach wine but using tinned tesco peaches

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termite

Reaction score
hello all i have a reciepe for peach wine using fresh fruit this uses about 7 peaches to make 1 gallon.

i would like to make the above, but also try tinned tesco peaches 410grm tins x2 costs 60pence to compare as to using fresh fruit plus the fact i could use tinned when fresh peaches are not avaliable.

the reciepes i have seen for tinned peaches all mention the addition of grape juice concentrate, where as the fresh fruit reciepe does not require this.

would i get away with omitting the concentrate?

thanks all

replace the amount of concentrate in ml with chopped raisin or sultanas in grams so 250ml of concentrate = 250g of chopped raisins. I have seen a one or two recipes using tinned fruit, not totally convinced but I will dig one out for you and post it here now in a minute like.

Here we go copied form CJJ Berry early edition only imperial measurments im afraid, but 16 oz is approx 453g.

TINNED PEACH OR APRICOT
Ingredients:
15 ½ oz. or 16 oz. tin peach slices
½ teaspoon tannin
1 ½ lb. sugar 1 nutrient tablet
½ lb. malt extract
Sauternes wine yeast
1 teaspoon citric acid
Water to one gallon
1 tablespoon pectic enzyme
Method:

The peaches can be bought in slices in either 15 ½ oz. or 16 oz. tins, as halves in 16 oz. tins, or labelled "white peaches" in 16 oz, tins. Wine firms also sell peach pulp.
One 15 ½ oz. or 16 oz. tin of either will make, using the quantities in the recipe, a light dry table wine, but if a fuller-bodied wine is required use two tins of peaches (roughly 2
lb.)—they are quite cheap—and increase the sugar to 2 ¾ lb. (U.S. 2 ½ lb.), the citric acid
to 2 teaspoons, and the tannin to 1 teaspoon. Pour any syrup into your fermenting jar, then mash the fruit with a stainless steel spoon.
Boil two quarts of water and dissolve the sugar and malt extract in it, then put pulp into polythene bucket and pour the boiling syrup over it. Allow to cool to tepid (70 degs. F) before adding acid, tannin and pectic enzyme. Stir well, cover closely, and leave in a warm place.

Next day stir, pour the whole into the fermenting jar with the syrup from the can, and add yeast, nutrient, and enough cold water to bring level of must to just below the shoulder of the jar, leaving room for a "head." Fit air lock and leave in a warm place for 10 days, shaking jar daily to disperse pulp through liquid. Then strain into fresh jar, and top up to bottom of neck with syrup. Ferment out, racking and bottling as usual. For a
sweet wine use a 1 lb. 12 oz. tin of pulp and 3 ¼ lb. of sugar.

Personally, I would pour out the juice from the tins into your FV then top up to 1 gallon then take a hydrometer reading then adjust the sugar to make the percentage you want ie 1090 for around 12%. I havent seen malt extract in many wine making recipes, I would chuck in 500g of chopped raisins or sultanas to give it some body. And why not use 2 cans, for the price of them why not? Also seen as no boiling water is involved 1 crushed campden per gallon in the must should be used. Sorry if I am trying to teach grandmother to suck eggs but I have no idea of your knowledge.
Let us know how it turns out.

Edit: preservatives may be a problem, and reading jack Keller you get what you pay for in terms of the end product tasting like peach, cheap tins may result in cheap wine, taste the peaches do they taste really peachy?

I have tried various recipes from Berry's tinned fruit book - the main thing I would change is reduce the amount of sugar. I found that the alcohol just overpowered the flavour of most fruits. This is really just in hindsight I haven't re-visited any of the recipes but I will try the canned gooseberry wine which I remember coming out quite well, even with the amount of sugar involved then.

Well that's why I suggested using a hydrometer so he/she can tune the % to their needs.

thanks all for info,
i am a novice at winemaking ive tried a couple of things youngs wine kit without much sucsese.

i am not sure what malt extract is? i have something called crystall malt is this simular??

i have recently purchased ,roy ekins ,the wine and beer makers year,its ok but somewhat confusing as regards some of the ingredients for a recipe,

ie use pectice ensime,(which i then find is pectolase which i already have)

my local stockist does not have seem to have tannin listed though.

the above book does give a chart of og readings /sugar and approx expected alchohol content for 1 gallon which is usefull.

thanks all

My local Morrisons had tinned peaches at half price (from memory, 30-something pence a tin) at the weekend. No idea how long this will be on for, or if it's nationwide.

Sub the tannin with a cup of strong (2 T bags) cold black tea. Malt extract is pictured here, like i said I have rarely heard of it in winemaking
582522b.jpg

hi all last night i used 2 410gm tins of peaches,

weight of peaches alone 1lb 4ozs juice 200ml,

i put juice into a 1gallon pet,added 180zs sugar disolved in hot water and allowed to coolto room temp and topped up to 1 gallon

og 1.050

mashed peaches /added 250grm raisins/mixed fruit into another djohn topped up with the sugar solution, added all ingredients omiting the malt extract,

used youngs super wine yeast compound temp has been steady at 22c-24c but 24 hours on i have no fermantation ,zero bubbles through airlock??

have no idea why , i am under 4.5 litres roughly 3 " gap from top of dj.

ingredients on tin peach/water /syrup/citric acid/

thanks all

yes solids and sugar /water/citic/yeast etc all in one gallon pet bottle with airlock.

but peaches and raisins were blitsed in food procsser first.

termite said:
yes solids and sugar /water/citic/yeast etc all in one gallon pet bottle with airlock.

but peaches and raisins were blitsed in food procsser first.

When fermenting pulp it's easier to start off with a sterilised bucket and close fitting lid, then strain liquid into demijohn. DJ is quite heavy (if glass) and has a small opening which makes transfer awkward

thanks klaus i use pet 1 gallon plastic water containers as sold by the supermarkets, i use the water for my (brews) my local wilkinsons has glass dj but £6.17 so i purchased bubbler airlocks and caps.

i found it very messy trying to get raisins/crystall malt etc into the djs from my small fermenting bin as you point out.

i drilled a 42mm hole into the bottom of a plastic measuring jug,i place this over the threaded part of plastic dj makes it much easier to get stuff into dj.

the good news is my dj of solids has JUST STARTED TO FERMENT.

thanks all

Latest posts

Back