Recipe books

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBowie

Regular.
Reaction score
A colleague at work gave me a book from the early 80's called brewing beers like those you buy by Dave Line. Is there a recent version or something similar anywhere? I've already downloaded the BrewDog back catalogue.

Thanks,

Mark Bowie

It's not a clone recipe book but "Brewing Classic Styles" is my homebrew bible. There's an award winning recipe for every BJCP style, and all the ones I've brewed have been great. If anyone is interested in competition brewing this book is a must have.

There are too many great recipe books out there. Brewing Classic Styles mentioned by Strange Steve is a good one based on extract recipes, Clone Brews is okay, as is the Graham Wheeler one the name of which escapes me. However, I found books like Designing Great Beers more helpful (it's a duff read but packed with good information) because it allowed me to forget recipes and create my own. I tend to build a basic profile of a beer I want to make, and then the tinkering starts. Some I get right in two or three brews and others are still a work in progress after decades!

Creating your own recipes in much more fun, in my opinion. That said, I do occasionally rattle off a classic just because I fancy having a few pints of something specific. Well, what I really mean is I minimise the tinkering...

Thanks for all your replies. I will look at the books! Seeing as I'm so new to it I wanted recipes that have definitely worked with flavours I recognise so I can work out what I think makes a good beer and go from there, that's where the tinkering will start for me!

Thanks for all your replies. I will look at the books! Seeing as I'm so new to it I wanted recipes that have definitely worked with flavours I recognise so I can work out what I think makes a good beer and go from there, that's where the tinkering will start for me!

I have the greg hughes book (reviewed in our library) it has one or more reciepe from all the main BJCP styles. After making a few of the styles 'as is' I was then able to starter tweeking and "tinkering" the reciepes in the book

Latest posts

Back