Recipe for 23 litre/5 gallon dry white wow type anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niklas

Reaction score
Hi guys , i'm a newbie who has just finished off a few kits with ok results but i'd really love to try and make some wow type dry whites. I've seen the recipe for making 1 gallon wow but instead of me just multiplying the ingredients by 5 to make 5 gallons, has anyone got any tried and tested alternative recipes for 5 gallons that don't include orange juice ?

Great site by the way :clap:

Thankyou LeithR. Yes , i've had a look at the first 7 or so pages but couldn't find a complete one for 5 gallons ? (loads of interesting looking ones though).Found posts where some people quote quantity and type of juice but would be great to have a full list of ingredients ,not just type of juice.

For a 5 gallon batch of wine, my understanding is that you use the recipe for a 1 gallon batch of WOW, and times everything by 5, apart from the yeast. So 5 litres grape juice, 5 litres fruit juice, 5 teaspoons of tannin or 5 mugs of strong black tea, 5 times the sugar (if it's 800 grams which I normally add it will be 4kg), and 5 times the rest of the recipe which I can't remember off the top of my head (had a few (many) drinks), but still keep the yeast amount the same.

Whichever WOW you make, it will be extremely dry, but after its been stabalised and degassed, you can back sweeten it to the right sweetness. Depending how dry you like it, you may not need to back sweeten at all.

Just remember that leaving the wine to age to reduce the harshness will affect how much you may want to back sweeten by. I left my last batch of wines maturing for 2 months before bottling and it makes a massive difference to the drinkability of it (I used to bottle it as soon as it was cleared).

Thanks very much for that Stevie. Can't wait to try making a large batch of this stuff. Just got to wait until i have a 25l fv free. Might just do a gallon or 2 for the mean time .I'm intrigued by the simplicity of making this stuff,it's quick turn around and of course being of a decent strength.

Latest posts

Back