Recipe No5

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble

Reaction score
Over 15 years ago I was a regular brewer [Amateur] I brewed all my beer in a detached garage and I kept a note of every batch I made noting the SG and FG also I gave each brew a score out of ten. Since those heady days I have moved house and now I find myself on my second wife whom unlike the first likes the bouquet of beer brewing. The other month I was having a clear out of a shed I bought to replace a garage I knocked down to make room for a Summerhouse. On my rummaging in the shed making room to start brewing again I came across the original note pad I used to write the recipes down in and the marks I used to give to each brew. This particular brew [No5] I gave it a mark of 9/10 so I decided to repeat the recipe hoping once ready to drink it would remind me of those long lost days before I retired but not so much of the first wife. Anyway a couple of weeks ago I recreated the exact recipe and I must say in today’s climate I must give it a 10/10…
For those of you who would like to copy my success the recipe is below.
Please note I never ever bother with temperatures, it’s a case of flying by the seat of ones pants.

Recipe No5 a full bodied light Beer.
4lbs of light Malt…I used a large can of Maris Otter light Malt and made up the rest of the four pounds with spray dried Malt.
1lb 2oz of Dextros.
Poor all the above into FV.
500g of flaked barley, this I cook for 30 minutes in six litres of water.
Strain into FV and sparg with 2 litres of boiled water.
4 ½ ounces of Goldring hops cooked for 30 minutes in 4 litres of water.
Strain through with boilded or warm water 2 litres.
1 teaspoon of citric acid, crystal type, looks like sugar.
Top up to 5 gallons with cold water.
The yeast I used is Safale S-04
SG .038….FG .004 or there abouts.
Finnings added when transferring into Keg..

Over 15 years ago I was a regular brewer [Amateur] I brewed all my beer in a detached garage and I kept a note of every batch I made noting the SG and FG also I gave each brew a score out of ten. Since those heady days I have moved house and now I find myself on my second wife whom unlike the first likes the bouquet of beer brewing. The other month I was having a clear out of a shed I bought to replace a garage I knocked down to make room for a Summerhouse. On my rummaging in the shed making room to start brewing again I came across the original note pad I used to write the recipes down in and the marks I used to give to each brew. This particular brew [No5] I gave it a mark of 9/10 so I decided to repeat the recipe hoping once ready to drink it would remind me of those long lost days before I retired but not so much of the first wife. Anyway a couple of weeks ago I recreated the exact recipe and I must say in today’s climate I must give it a 10/10…
For those of you who would like to copy my success the recipe is below.
Please note I never ever bother with temperatures, it’s a cast of flying by the seat of ones pants.

Recipe No5 a full bodied light Beer.
4lbs of light Malt…I used a large can of Maris Otter light Malt and made up the rest of the four pounds with spray dried Malt.
1lb 2oz of Dextros.
Poor all the above into FV.
500g of flaked barley, this I cook for 30 minutes in six litres of water.
Strain into FV and sparg with 2 litres of boiled water.
4 ½ ounces of Goldring hops cooked for 30 minutes in 4 litres of water.
Strain through with boilded or warm water 2 litres.
1 teaspoon of citric acid, crystal type, looks like sugar.
Top up to 5 gallons with cold water.
The yeast I used is Safale S-04
SG .038….FG .004 or there abouts.
Finnings added when transferring into Keg..

Hi Bramble, a wife whom unlike the first likes the bouquet of beer brewing,has she got a sister ? :lol:

That's a cool way to brew. And now you should move on to brewing with grain, it's the present, and the future. :thumb:

There's a simple guide wot I wrote in the how-to guide forum.

I have had a go at grain brewing many years ago you understand when nettles were used in preference to Hops. Lol
It’s the messing about you see plus I don’t have the fancy gear you younger sprogs have or can I afford the outlay to tool up.
At the moment I’m quite happy messing about in me shed with me hydrometer and sparg bucket whiling away the time looking through my old recipe note pad reliving what I once had.
To be honest and joking apart in time and if I stick at it and if the new wife will continue to share her kitchen with my fermenting bin I can’t see why I won’t go back to grain brewing again.

Hi Bramble, a wife whom unlike the first likes the bouquet of beer brewing,has she got a sister ? :lol:

Sorry but no she hasn't but she does have a brother who likes a drink.
My new wife of only two months worked in the past before she met me in a local pub has a bar maid, maybe this is why she likes the smell of beer.:doh:

Latest posts

Back