Recipes for Floor Malted Maris Otter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protos

Reaction score
[long time lurker, second time poster]

Gentlemen, I recently bought me some No19 Floor Malted Maris Otter and Chevallier malts from Crisp. My homebrewing experience is 140 brews and I've never brewed with those heritage strains.
With Chevallier, I brewed a 1889 Bitter recipe, a historical SMaSH that specifically requires Chevallier. Now I'm searching the interwebs for a recipe to showcase Crisp's Floor Malted. Didn't find much though.
What's your advice for traditional/historical recipes to showcase floor malted varieties?

A bitter, for sure. Preferrably, a single malt one.
My problem is, I don't find much historical recipes that would specifically require the use of floor malted malts (to be precise, I haven't find any at all). Of course, I could concoct a generic bitter recipe myself, but what I want is to stick to real historical recipes and I hope someone here might have one to share.

Surely, historic recipes wouldn't specify floor malting because that is how grain was malted. Marris Otter isn't that historic, it didn't become dominant until the 1970's. Perhaps look at Ron Pattinsons recent blogs regarding Boddingtons.

Good point. Then it seems, actually, that any bitter recipe up till certain period may be exactly what I'm searching for. And Ron Pattinson's blog offers loads of them.
What do you think, what's that period? When the British maltsters did their switch from the traditional floor malting to newer (modern) technologies?

Latest posts

Back