Floor Malt Maris Otter Step Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've got a brew planned for the weekend, with 96% of the grist made up of No. 19 Floor Malt Maris Otter. I've just found a couple of references saying that a step mash would be a good idea with this stuff. Any views? And if so, which rests?

Cheers!

Interesting. I have used that quite a bit recently and will be again this weekend, but didn’t know that? What’s the recommended step schedule?

I have a copy of Crisp's Malt Handbook and in there it mentions the history and principles behind it, but makes no mention of a stepped mash.

I can't see why it should need any different treatment than a standard MO malt. If you use an all in one system, then there is no harm in programming an extra step at 50-55°C for 15 mins before the main mash, if not, it's more hassle than it is worth.

That's what I'm trying to find out, really. I don't know 100% that it needs a step mash. Were your brews ok?

I've emailed Crisp to ask their opinion...

I will be interested to hear what they say. I’ve been hitting numbers ok, but have an all in one so simple enough to introduce if recommended.

You mash the malt to set the fermentability of the wort, among other things. If you want a super fermentable wort then I'd do a step mash with a fairly long time between 62c and 65c or so. Then do a rest at 72c for head retention/stability and for further conversion. I wouldnt do a protein rest at all with british malt, it is low protein and very well modified, although you can mash in at the high end of that to avoid dough balls, but immediately ramp up to 62c or so.

Or if you don't want to do any step mash just mash at 67c for an hour for simplicity

You mash the malt to set the fermentability of the wort, among other things. If you want a super fermentable wort then I'd do a step mash with a fairly long time between 62c and 65c or so. Then do a rest at 72c for head retention/stability and for further conversion. I wouldnt do a protein rest at all with british malt, it is low protein and very well modified, although you can mash in at the high end of that to avoid dough balls, but immediately ramp up to 62c or so.

Or if you don't want to do any step mash just mash at 67c for an hour for simplicity
Thanks, useful info there. This one's a Scottish Ale so it'll be mashed more for body rather than fermentability. I'm intrigued by the 72c rest for head retention as that's one of the weak spots with my beer.

There was a brulosophy experiment where they did a whole mash at 72 and the testers couldnt significantly tell the difference ( when do they?) between that and a normal mash in blind tests despite the difference in gravity and thus alcohol. Been meaning to give it a go for a seesion beer at some stage.

Latest posts

Back