Recomendtion on a 10l fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The

These do look tempting. And may be a 'easy' keg for later
My only gripe with the 20l version I have is that you can only ferment 18l in it, so really about 16-17l of beer at the end. By my reconning you’ll then only get about 7 from the 10l?

My only gripe with the 20l version I have is that you can only ferment 18l in it, so really about 16-17l of beer at the end. By my reconning you’ll then only get about 7 from the 10l?
I think this is the issue for a 10l batch u really need either 12 or 13l capacity.
I think mine has a 12l total capacity...

so I guess I should ask about a 12-15 l total capacity fermenter - doh

I'm using the 10L Fermenter Genius and been mostly happy with it except the lid gasket is difficult to fit and needs to be dipped in boiling water to be made more malleable. It needs to be fitted perfectly in the lid recess otherwise not air tight. Also the stock airlock is too small so I replaced it with a bigger one. I got mine from maltmiller who no longer have it but I noticed geterbrewed has it.

In the photo below the top line on the outside is 9.3L so this batch is a little more than that but I did get krausen overflow that needed some clean up and airlock refill.

Maltmiller said it can do closed transfers but I haven't tried that yet.

https://www.geterbrewed.com/fermenter-genius-10l-with-tap-and-airlock/
I expect the tap will take the standard bottling stick. Might give this a try.

I have two 20 litre fermenter king juniors I planning on my next brew a day to do a 10 litre batch of ginger beer so I’m thinking about using this to ferment in.

I’m quite lucky a got a larder fridge off Facebook market place last year and converted this into a fermentation chamber linked to inkbird for temperature control.

Generally speaking I brew 23l batches however occasionally I brew smaller batches to try ou different hops and yeast.

I'm going to give this 12L drinking water container from ebay a try, it was only £13.76 9# 12L Transparent

One of the photos states a lid hole of 10cm and another states a bung hole of 13mm but don't know if this applies to the 12L which doesn't have a bung hole in the photo. I'm also wondering if the tap be the kind that lets air in when pouring in which case hopefully I can swap it depending on the hole dimensions.

My first thought is ferment upright with a pipe to jar of santisier connected to the tap. Then after cold crash tilt on side and use tap to drain to keg letting air in the large opening. With possible future upgrade of carbonation cap on the big lid to push in Co2 for closed transfer.

Will report back when it arrives.

s-l1600-2.jpg

Edit: seems there is a clear version for £17.39 (5% off coupon just now) that states it has the bung hold and comes with some accessories like tap extension. I'll wait on this blue one to arrive and see how it is before I think about ordering this clear one.

s-l1600-3.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been using coopers fermenters for years and love them. I managed to get a hold of one of their 10l craft fermenters a few months back and it’s great.

https://innhousebrewery.co.uk/colle...rs-fermenter-5gal?_pos=2&_sid=a31377a29&_ss=r
Picked up the Coopers 10L from Inn House Brewery today for £13.95 it included the fermenter (has level markings), tap (no leaks, can be locked open, nutless and can insert wand into outlet), collar (for krausen to expand into), lid and bottle wand (bit flimsy and leaks, no spring in it).

They forgot to give me the lid clips and thermometer strip so will pop in again to get those.

Some measurements others might find useful:

10.8mm tap outlet ID for inserting a bottle wand or tube

11mm OD of bottle wand

7.8mm ID of bottle wand

The bottle wand can be dismantled so a tube can be attached to it if filling a keg.

Because the tap clips onto the front there is no internal nut, which has the added benefit it can be completely drained by tilting it. Looking forward to trying it out!

IMG_2393.jpegIMG_2400.jpegIMG_2399.jpegIMG_2398.jpegIMG_2395.jpegIMG_2397.jpegIMG_2396.jpegIMG_2394.jpegIMG_2392.jpegIMG_2391.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked up the Coopers 10L from Inn House Brewery today for £13.95 it included the fermenter (has level markings), tap (no leaks, can be locked open, nutless and can insert wand into outlet), collar (for krausen to expand into), lid and bottle wand (bit flimsy and leaks, no spring in it).

They forgot to give me the lid clips and thermometer strip so will pop in again to get those.

Some measurements others might find useful:

10.8mm tap outlet ID for inserting a bottle wand or tube

11mm OD of bottle wand

7.8mm ID of bottle wand

The bottle wand can be dismantled so a tube can be attached to it if filling a keg.

Because the tap clips onto the front there is no internal nut, which has the added benefit it can be completely drained by tilting it. Looking forward to trying it out!

View attachment 88210View attachment 88211View attachment 88212View attachment 88213View attachment 88214View attachment 88215View attachment 88216View attachment 88217View attachment 88218View attachment 88219

Looks good !!
I have just emailed them - I bought 2 x 10L coopers FVs back in March and there were no krausen collars - I thought they did not come with the 10L - the 25L I bought at the same time did have a collar.
Thanks for posting your photos - hopefully they can solve this issue - G

Looks good !!
I have just emailed them - I bought 2 x 10L coopers FVs back in March and there were no krausen collars - I thought they did not come with the 10L - the 25L I bought at the same time did have a collar.
Thanks for posting your photos - hopefully they can solve this issue - G

I think if I hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have got one either because they had to fetch it from upstairs. The parts are spread throughout the shop. The fermenter on a shelf, the bottle wand on a hanger, the tap in a drawer, I'm not surprised they forget bits.

Make sure you also get the clips as I've realised that when the krausen pushes up it will push the lid off instead of lifting the collar up with it. Kinda hard to explain.

I never use the collar, clips or temp gauge on either my 2x20l buckets or the 10l. It’s unnecessary extra cleaning! I did with the 20 15+ years ago when I first used my original 20l (still in use) but not since.

I had to buy a new 10l lid as I cracked mine (stood on it) and it’s great threes are available on their own (for only (2.50 I think)

I never use the collar, clips or temp gauge on either my 2x20l buckets or the 10l. It’s unnecessary extra cleaning! I did with the 20 15+ years ago when I first used my original 20l (still in use) but not since.

I had to buy a new 10l lid as I cracked mine (stood on it) and it’s great threes are available on their own (for only (2.50 I think)
They want us to remove the collar and the ring of gunk around it on day 3 for some reason. Maybe its because when moving the fermenter a splash might knock some off into solution and taste bad if it ends up in a bottle. Also I because it expands the height I believe it will allow filling to 10L without blowout.

Edit: I just took my collar off after krausen subsided and 3 days have passed (the ring is on both sides of the plastic but it was soft and easy to clean)

IMG_2420.jpeg

Last edited:
Now there's a thought. I always ferment in either plastic or glass but I've got some stock pots that are not being used at the moment. Might just put one of them to use. athumb..
Those clever Aussies have been using Glad wrap (cling film) instead of an airlock so they can see inside the metal container so you could try that.

I'm going to give this 12L drinking water container from ebay a try, it was only £13.76 9# 12L Transparent

One of the photos states a lid hole of 10cm and another states a bung hole of 13mm but don't know if this applies to the 12L which doesn't have a bung hole in the photo. I'm also wondering if the tap be the kind that lets air in when pouring in which case hopefully I can swap it depending on the hole dimensions.

My first thought is ferment upright with a pipe to jar of santisier connected to the tap. Then after cold crash tilt on side and use tap to drain to keg letting air in the large opening. With possible future upgrade of carbonation cap on the big lid to push in Co2 for closed transfer.

Will report back when it arrives.

View attachment 88199

Edit: seems there is a clear version for £17.39 (5% off coupon just now) that states it has the bung hold and comes with some accessories like tap extension. I'll wait on this blue one to arrive and see how it is before I think about ordering this clear one.

View attachment 88226

We use that exact container in the fridge for cooled water. The tap lets air in and you get a big air bubble up through the liquid.

Those clever Aussies have been using Glad wrap (cling film) instead of an airlock so they can see inside the metal container so you could try that.

Another good idea. I was wondering about how you'd check on progress. I'm not precious about using airlocks, on some brews I like to stick the temperature probe into the beer and just put some kitchen roll over the hole to stop anything falling in. Most of the traffic is outbound 🙂.

Talking about Aussie names for things I like their name for a strimmer - whipper snipper, we should adopt that.

Back