Recycle CO2?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just been reading a couple of threads about closed transfer and pressure fermenting. As a brewloonist myself (one that collects fermentation gas to use during cold crash and gas flushing pb/keg prior to transfer) it occured to me that those brewers that use cornys and want to gas flush could recycle the CO2 from their empty keg rather than just vent it. Simply attach a brewloon to the corny gas post and mains water supply to corny beer post. Gently turn tap ON and the water will displace the CO2 into the brewloon for use later.

Just a thought :coat:

I have just purchased another 2 kegs and this post has got me thinking. Is it possible to have one keg that has been sanitised and purged with CO2 connected to another key full of star San solution and transfer between the 2 using gravity only i.e the keg filled with star San up on a bench with the liquid post connected to the liquid post of the CO2 purged key on the ground and the gas post connected ? Would the star San flow under gravity and push the CO2 keg into the raised keg ?

Edit. Just when I hit post i thought that I may have invented a perpetual motion machine 🤣

I have just purchased another 2 kegs and this post has got me thinking. Is it possible to have one keg that has been sanitised and purged with CO2 connected to another key full of star San solution and transfer between the 2 using gravity only i.e the keg filled with star San up on a bench with the liquid post connected to the liquid post of the CO2 purged key on the ground and the gas post connected ? Would the star San flow under gravity and push the CO2 keg into the raised keg ?

Edit. Just when I hit post i thought that I may have invented a perpetual motion machine 🤣
I don't have Kegs but use this principle to purge my pb. The trick is to establish a Syphon from the "high" beer post to suck the starsan out of the "high" keg down to the "low" keg. The gas will be displaced back to the "high" keg until all the starsan has transferred.
Sorry, no perpetual motion. asad.

Thanks for
I don't have Kegs but use this principle to purge my pb. The trick is to establish a Syphon from the "high" beer post to suck the starsan out of the "high" keg down to the "low" keg. The gas will be displaced back to the "high" keg until all the starsan has transferred.
Sorry, no perpetual motion. asad.
Thanks for confirming. I was totally sure it was going to work until I pressed the "post" button 😂

Back