Red IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrain83

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at brewing my first all grain red ipa. If anyone has any tips or advice, including best malts, hops, yeast etc before I start ordering for this I'd be grateful! Also water profile as I have very hard water. I have some Munich left over and I am unsure how much, if any, is too much in a red ipa. Cheers!

There are a million and one options for recipes etc out there. This is a US site but is a reliable one. If nothing else it gives good info on grain, hopping etc.
https://beerandbrewing.com/alaskan-red-red-ipa-beer-recipe/
Yep, agreed with that recommendation - in general you could do a lot worse than some of Josh Weikert's recipes. I've done a slight variation on that recipe (details here) - I think I used a similar grist but different hops. Turned out to be a very nice beer though I'd probably up the late/flameout hops if I did it again.

Last edited:
You should find a recipe for a stone pataskala clone on this forum, I think it was strange steve who posted but I might be wrong, no offense intended, it uses RedX malt. I have made it twice, amazing.

It was indeed. Made another batch more recently and it's just as good as the last. @strange-steve made some after modifying the malt profile a bit. I understand he was fairly happy with it. Red-X isn't the easiest malt to use, it can drink a bit thin and is a little sour like a very mild acidulated malt. But at 1060 OG and full of luscious hops it works nicely.

It was indeed. Made another batch more recently and it's just as good as the last. @strange-steve made some after modifying the malt profile a bit. I understand he was fairly happy with it. Red-X isn't the easiest malt to use, it can drink a bit thin and is a little sour like a very mild acidulated malt. But at 1060 OG and full of luscious hops it works nicely.
I had good results with it in an English IPA. I am just on building an order now with 10kg of it. Shame geterbrew don't sell it

I had good results with it in an English IPA. I am just on building an order now with 10kg of it. Shame geterbrew don't sell it
I get mine from thehomebrewcompany, but not sure they're taking orders at the mo. If you're getting 10 Kg, you might as well get a sackful. Just bottled a best bitter made from same and another made with Simpson's Imperial just for comparison and out of a sense of sheer badness. Both malts are fully diastatic so, apart from a bit of caramalt, that's it for the malt. I'm looking forward to some interesting results when they're conditioned.

I get mine from thehomebrewcompany, but not sure they're taking orders at the mo. If you're getting 10 Kg, you might as well get a sackful. Just bottled a best bitter made from same and another made with Simpson's Imperial just for comparison and out of a sense of sheer badness. Both malts are fully diastatic so, apart from a bit of caramalt, that's it for the malt. I'm looking forward to some interesting results when they're conditioned.
I need some other grain as well so I will be filling the full 30kg with grain.
Wheat, rye, Munich, pilsner.

Latest posts

Back