Red Rice Lager

Discussion in 'Complete and Brewed Recipes' started by BeerCat, Jan 10, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 10, 2019 #1

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Regular.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    OG 1044
    FG 1012
    ABV 4.20%
    30 IBU
    SRM 11

Batch size 30l
    boil size 38l
    21l mash
    21l sparge

5kg red X
    200g cara red
    1kg flaked rice

30g perle 7%AA FWH
    30g saaz 4.7%AA @10
    50g saaz 4.7%AA @0
    protofloc/irish moss @15
    2.5g wyeast beer nutrient @15

mash at 65c
    mashout at 75c
    ferment with MJ bohemian yeast (3 packs) at 10c for 2 weeks, raise to 20c for a week
    crash to 0c for 3 days, add finings and leave another 4 days at 0c before kegging. Force carb and drink (it should be crystal clear by then) or lager for a few weeks if you can wait.

Water is reverse osmosis 0.1g of calcium chloride and 0.1g of gypsum per litre mash and sparge.
    I forgot to adjust the alkalinity for the colour of the beer but it still came out very nice. Next time i might try it around 30 ppm.

Note. I don't open the fermenter to check on the beer until i add the finings. I am sure you can improve on this fermentation schedule but it works reliably for me so i don't attempt to rush it or peek at the beer.

You could drop the cara red if you want a drier beer or and mash lower. I am not a fan of sweet beers and this only has a hint of crystal but it works well with the rice and makes it very drinkable malt driven beer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    DaryllLand likes this.
  2. Jan 10, 2019 #2

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Regular.

Ahh, you tricked me. I was expecting a Lager made with Red Rice.

Sounds nice though.

Does the Red X impart any other flavours compared to Pale malt?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. Jan 10, 2019 #3

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Regular.

Me too. I thought someone had been down to Camargue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camargue_red_rice) and got a bit carried away.

Funny this should be posted as I was thinking only yesterday that a red rice lager might be an interesting one. It then led to me wondering what it would be like to add skittles to a brew.

Good luck with it @BeerCat ! Would like to see a picture of this when it's done.

4. Jan 10, 2019 #4

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Regular.

This beer is about 6/7 weeks old. Clear and kegged 2 or 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't say the flavour has changed much over that time.
    DSC_0747.JPG

HarryFlatters likes this.
  5. Jan 10, 2019 #5

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Regular.

@Sadfield A somewhat misleading title. :) I would say the red x adds a lot to the flavour. More than vienna but i wanted more when i did 100%. That beer probably got oxidised as i left the lid off accidentally. I thought it could be a little crisper with some caramel flavours. I added the cara red to see if i could add some colour back to it after lightening it with rice. Next time i might swap it for biscuit malt. Going to buy a sack of red x and try some other recipes.
    @-Bezza- Cheers, i might add more rice next time as well. Would also be a good base for a hoppy beer. :)