Redwulf's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atomic Session IPA

Brew Day 13/03/2022

Batch Size: 23L
Mash Length: 30 Mins
Boil Length: 30 Mins

O.G 1.044
F.G 1.008 (1.012 for Hornindal)

Grain Bill
2.26 KG Vienna Malt
1.13 KG Pale Malt
185 G Caramunich Malt
185g G Oats
1.9KG Maris Otter - Extra Addition to balance BU:GU and counteract the Short Mash and Boil.

Hop Schedule
13g Simcoe @ 15 Mins
12g Columbus @ 15 Mins
23g Amarillo @ 10 Mins
23g Simcoe @ 5 Mins
33g Columbus - Hop Stand
23g Simcoe - Hop Stand
23g Amarillo - Hop Stand

Dry Hop after 24 hours
60g Simcoe
55g Columbus
25g Amarillo

Yeast
WLP Hornindal Yeast

Brew Report
Dark Revolution Atomic Session IPA, shortened the Mash and Brew length on this one and added 1.900g of Maris Otter to compensate balance the BU:GU to my taste. (down to 0.9 from 1.4)

Last edited:
Yummy! I like the idea of the Maris Otter to balance out the bitterness - how did you calculate the amount?

Nothing terribly scientific, it was 1.47 when I keyed it in. I prefer it less in your face than that so I played around the Grainfather APP until it was around 0.9 which is what I tend to like.

Rocky Road Stout

Brew date: 17/03/2022

Batch Size 23L
OG: 1.068 (800g
FG: 1.016
EBC: 60.8
IBU: 40
ABV: 6.8%

Grainbill
3.25kg Maris Otter
500g Carafa Special 3
475g Brown Malt
250g Crystal 400
250g Crystal
240g Wheat
500g Oats
500g Lactose @ 10 Mins

Hops
26g Magnum @ 60mins
21g Fuggles @ 10 Mins
23g Fuggles @ Flameout

Other Additions
200g Cocoa Nibs - Soaked in Bourbon and added to primary after 3 days
800g Toasted Marshmallows - Added to the boil @ 10 mins

Yeast
S-04

This started out as a Velveteen Milk Chocolate stout but we've had some interesting "dessert" stouts recently and I decided to add Marshmallows to this one for the right or wrong of it.

Mashed in with 17.6L of water at 65c for 1 hour stirring twice at 20 minute intervals before Mashing out for 10 minutes at 74c and then sparging with 14.5L of water @ 75c.

Once the sparge was complete I added 10g Calcium Chloride and 4g Table Salt to the kettle to smooth out the beer a bit, My source water has something like 3.5:1 sulphate to chloride so its great for IPAs but rubbish for anything else without adjustment so I went with the HBF water calculator.

After 30 Mins I placed 800g of Marshmallows on a baking tray under a hot grill and toasted them until golden brown (This take seconds by the way, so don't turn your back). These were added along with the lactose, 10 minute hop addition and half a protofloc to the boil.

At the end of the boil I removed the hop spider and added a bag with the flameout addition to the kettle while I chilled the wort and transferred to one my 30L Fermenters and pitched a sachet of S-04 at around 22-23c.

Facedown Cream Ale

Batch Size: 23L
O.G: 1.050
F.G: 1.009
EBC: 5.6
IBU: 19

Grain Bill
4kg Maris Otter Low Colour
500g Flaked Rice
500g Flaked Maize
200g Carapils

Hop Additions
10g Magnum @ 60 Mins
20g Tetnang @ 10 Mins

Other Additions
1 Protofloc Tablet @ 10 Mins

Yeast
Omega West Coast 1

Been a long time since my last brew day due to many factors but I've been looking forward to getting a nice crisp summer beer going, so as a bit of an exercise in brewing to style and getting a light beer I went for a Cream Ale. I couldn't decide between Rice or Maize so I went for both and avoid the temptation to do something crazy with the hops.

The Mash was a bit sticky and I had to stir it a bit earlier then usual to get the recirculation to work nicely and again just before the end. The Sparge went straight through nicely though and with two easy hop additions the boil was very straightforward.

Cream Ale Sample.jpg

Very happy with the clarity and colour going into the fermenter and I was on the money with an O.G. of 1.050

appy Dingo - Galaxy Session IPA

Batch Size 19L

Grainbill

3KG Pilsner

500g Lager Malt - Leftovers

200g Torrefied Wheat

200g Carapils

Hop Additions

10g Magnum @ 60 Mins

10g Galaxy @ 10 Mins

25g Galaxy - 10 Min Hop Stand @ 75c

50g Dryhop

Yeast

CML "Four"

Brew Notes

I've been a bit off my game recently so I've taken stock a bit and I'm looking at my process more closely. I set the GF up with the micropipe work, I've always shied away from using this but since I swapped in the Rolled Edge plates, I've had issues managing the flow through the grain bed.

I weighed out the grain and heated 14L of water to 52c to which I added 6ml of CRS and 1/2 a teaspon of Calcium Chloride, to combat the high sulphides in my source water.

I stirred around 10 mins into the mash and then the temperature stepped up to 62 after 15 mins had elapsed. I stirred again after 30 mins and started heating the sparge water with around 10 minutes left in the mash folling a final Stir at 45 mins.

After mashing for a total 60 mins the temp stepped up to 74c for a 10 minute mash out following which I slowly sparged adding 1L at a time and then left the malt pipe in place for 10 mins to drain into the kettle. I normally just leave it over the kettle until its around 95-96c

Pre Boil gravity was 1.034 and there was about 26 Litres in the kettle.

Once the boil was reached the protein had disappeared I added the Hop Spider and the first Hop Addition of 10g Magnum and left it to boil for 50 mins before adding 10g Galaxy and a protofloc tablet.

Around 5 mins from the End I started to cycle wort through the counterflow chiller and back into the kettle. Once the boil completed I chilled the Kettle Wort down to 80c and added a hop back with the last addition of 25g Galaxy to the kettle and gave it a good stir up and then left it for 10 mins.

Looks like about 19-20 Litres of Wort Made it into the kettle and I fit my target O.G of 1.039. Very pleased with my Brew-day to be honest

Plum Porter - 6/11/2023

Batch Size: 21L

OG 1.062
FG 1.014
ABV 6.4
IBU 33.9
EBC 49.8

Grain Bill
5kg Maris Otter
500g Vienna Malt
290g Golden Naked Oats
250g Biscuit Malt
200g Chocolate Malt
200g Carafa 1 Malt

Hop Additions
15g Admiral First Wort Addition
25g Bramling Cross @ 10 Mins

Yeast
2 Sachets US-05 - went out of day in July so double pitched.

Other Additions
Protofloc 1/2 tab
Plum Flavouring 50-60 drops at Kegging.

First proper brew in a while and the first brew in the Bar/Brewery Space I've been working on for the last six months. Uneventful brewday and largely went by the numbers. I had 21L in the kettle post boil and probably 19L went in to ferment.

I've been thinking a bit more about water chemistry and managed to get the missing bit of data for my water profile from Yorkshire water and so my PH was probably better then it has been.

Last edited:
Mild Pale - Brew day 7/11/2023

Batch Size 21L
OG 1.036
FG 1.037
ABV 3.8%
IBU 17.9
EBC 15.5

Grain Bill
3.25KG Maris Otter
200g Vienna
150g Wheat Malt
50g Chocolate Malt

Hop Additions
15g Fuggles @ First Wort
10g East Kent Goldings @ 15 Mins
10g East Kent Goldings @ 5 Mins

Yeast
CML 'Four'

Never brewed a mild before, but I'm a bit IPA'd out this year so I am exploring some other styles that I've hitherto ignored. Looks like its going to be a very nice simple beer and I am really looking forward to this one.

Treated my water with CRS and Calcium Chloride to enhance the malt flavour and added a protofloc tablet with the 15 min boil addition.

I think I got a couple of extra points on the O.G coming in at 1.038 but I expect it will finish on 1.009 so we'll be all even at the end.

Last edited:
International Pale Lager 'Cooking Lager' - Brew Day 7/11/2023

Batch Size 21L

OG 1.048
FG 1.008
ABV 5.26%
IBU 22.2
EBC 79

Grain Bill
3.7kg Lager Malt
500g Vienna Malt
500g Flaked Rice
250g Carapils

Hop Additions
30g Saaz @ 60 min
20g Saaz @ 20 min
10g Saaz @ 10 min

Yeast
SafLager Lager W34/70 - 2 Sachets.

This was my 2nd brew of the day and I think I timed things well. I added 17L of Ashbeck to the Sparge heater about 2/3rds of the way through the previous boil and then as soon as the Mild was in the FV I hosed out the G30 and flushed the pump and pipe work with clean water until everything was running clear, by this time the water in the Sparge heater was about 58c so I poured it into the G30 and started the brew program.

I mashed in 10-15 mins after transferring the Mild to the FV. If I was to do it again I'd add some Rice hulls as the flaked rice made for a very slow sparge, that I had to help along a bit.

The boil was uneventful and the beer came out with an OG of 1.043 which is part of a trend I've noticed with my recent brews, so I am going to start dialing things in a bit more and start to compensate.

Latest posts

Back