Rescue stale hop brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonind

Reaction score
I’ve got a barrel of ready to drink pale ale (all grain) but there’s a nasty stale/smokey/old socks element to the flavour even though it’s fully conditioned and clear. I’ve attributed this to older Styrian Goldings hops I added towards the end of the boil, based on what I’ve read, the question now is what to do?
I’m wondering about opening the barrel, dry hopping with something in a nylon bag, then adding some more dextrose to carbonate. Does anyone think it’ll mask the flavour or am I stuck with that?
Any other ideas?
Cheers
Simon

Hmmm!

Sorry, but I have two smells that I try to avoid in a brew:
  1. The smell of vinegar.
  2. The smell of "Turkish Wrestler's Jock Strap".
If I smell either then I'm afraid that the brew is consigned to the drain and I start sanitising everything that could possibly touch the next brew.

From your description, it sounds as if you have got the TWJS smell so personally I would dump it, sanitise everything and try and work out where the smell came from.

BTW, if you added old and mouldy Hops to a brew I have ZERO sympathy for your predicament. aheadbutt

Apparently, this is called "Tough Love!" :laugh8:

They were about 4 months old but kept in the freezer. I wouldn’t say it was jock strap like, more earthy/smokey but I will look at sanitisation.

It’s drinkable as the flavour element is not overwhelming but if dryhopping will mask it I figure it’s worh a go, no?

Looking back, the only thing I have successfully rescued was a dog I named "Andy". athumb..

Everything else seems to have been a disappointing waste of time, but... aunsure....

... it may be worth giving it a go, if you do it more in "hope" than "expectation". :cheers3:

How did the hops smell at the time of brewing? I would doubt that 4 month old hops stored cold would have off aromas due to deterioration. If they had, it would likely be a cheesy aroma. If it's this, some strains of Brettanomyces can convert it into more pleasant pineapple/fruity esters.

The aroma you describe sounds more earthy/phenolic which could be the Styrian Goldings, and as with all hop aromas, will likely fade with time.

If it's drinkable, then why not try dry-hopping? It may be better to waste a few hops than a whole barrel of beer. Might be worth leaving it a couple of weeks first, though, to see how the flavour develops.
I'd also doubt if the age of the hops is the issue, provided they were in good nick when they were frozen. If often keep part-used packets of hops in the freezer - whilst they might lose aroma I've never found an off-flavour developed.
Could the "stale" flavour be down to oxygenation? It's difficult to comment without actually tasting the stuff, but I've found that stale or musty flavours will result if you've introduced air into the beer after fermentation (splashy transfer, siphoning etc). "Smoky" is a funny one, though, and I've no suggestions there.

Back