Reusing a Westmalle Tripel jeroboam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
Hi, me and a couple of friends enjoyed a Westmalle Tripel jeroboam on boxing day. Since we're planning to try brewing a Westmalle tripel clone soon, it would be nice to reuse the bottle.

The issue is capping it. The cap they used is big, 35mm or something close. I've tried googling and found nothing about them. Does anyone know where you can get that sized caps, and a device that can handle them?

Standard bottle take 26mm Champagne sized necks etc take 29mm which can be got and capped with a bench capper that can do dual sizes.
My guess is they are 29mm if so it is doable

Standard bottle take 26mm Champagne sized necks etc take 29mm which can be got and capped with a bench capper that can do dual sizes.
My guess is they are 29mm if so it is doable
Thanks for the reply. It's definitely bigger than the 29mm bottles I've come across (I currently use 26mm bottles). To me it measures 35mm. I'm wondering if it's a custom thing westmalle did. It looks huge when you see it in person.

You can always cork it.

Keep a beer bottle/champagne cork. Stick the base in a vice or something to compress it and put a cable tie around it. Keep squeezing and cable tying until it's narrow enough to fit in the neck of the bottle.

Once it does, put the cork into the bottle up to the cable tie. Cut off the cable tie (it should stay in the bottle). Then whack with the buttom of a shoe or rubber mallet to put it fully in.

Then re-apply some wire to hold it in

You can buy plastic champagne stoppers and wire cages, basically a plastic version of the corks on 750ml belgian beer bottles. See if you can buy larger versions if a standard size won't fit. That might do the job.

Back