Reusing Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxicdonkey

Reaction score
I have some helles fermenting at the moment, I will be Kegging it tomorrow. Its currently cold crashing and the yeast seams to be hitting the bottom nicely. Do you think I could just throw my next brew straight in the fermenter, on top of the left over yeast?

It is a pressure fermenter and I will be doing a closed transfer when I get the beer out. So I would think infection is low risk, How ever I've not tried this or heard anyone say its been done.

I should say I can’t claim credit for this advice (as I asked the same question as you a while back) but basically I take about half a mug of slurry from the bottom of the fermentor and just dump it straight into the next batch. I should say that when I do it this way I typically keg the batch and brew the new batch the same day. And it works great its basically a nice super easy way of reusing yeast.

I have some helles fermenting at the moment, I will be Kegging it tomorrow. Its currently cold crashing and the yeast seams to be hitting the bottom nicely. Do you think I could just throw my next brew straight in the fermenter, on top of the left over yeast?

It is a pressure fermenter and I will be doing a closed transfer when I get the beer out. So I would think infection is low risk, How ever I've not tried this or heard anyone say its been done.

I've never used a pressure fermenter so I can't comment on anything specific to that. I think you are right that infection is low risk, but you'd probably get a very different result to your first brew since you'd be starting with a very high cell count. The character of kveik is brought out in part by the insanely low inocculation rates typically used.

You'd also run the risk of a blow-out since kveik is such an agressive feeder. Obscure's method sounds much safer to me.

You can put some of the slurry in a jar and save it in the fridge for a couple of weeks and then add some to your next batch if you are not brewing straight away.
As long as you have a good cleanse and sanitation method the risk of infection is very low but do as others advised and do not add too much as Kveik should be under pitched on most brews.
You can do the same again after that batch has fermented out so getting plenty of use out of one yeast batch

Latest posts

Back