Rhubarb Wine Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
The Mrs wants to use the Rhubarb out of the garden and the time is drawning near for some of the first crop. I need help with how to make it????
Having spoke to the great wine expet ;) He tells me this...

Pick it young, 3 lbs to the gallon + 3 lbs sugar. Chop rhubarb into 1cm slices. Cover the base of your bucket with dry sugar, chuck in the rhubarb and cover with the rest of the sugar. That's it, no water. Leave for 24 hrs and the sugar will have drawn the juice out. Strain that to a DJ. Rinse the pulp with a couple of pints of cold water, strain that to DJ. Repeat rinse, strain, top up DJ to base of neck, add yeast & nutrient.

Anybody made this or has any other points to add to his recipe?
This is my first time at trying to make wines out of stuff that doesn't come in a carton :lol:

2kg Rhubarb
1.2kg Sugar
Pectloase
Tannin
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp Acid Blend or citric acid
I tend to use Youngs super wine yeast
Chop the rhubarb into chunks and put into a bucket.
Pour the sugar over the top of the rhubarb and leave for 48 hours.
All the juice will drop out of the rhubarb, you may have to stir it a couple of times.
Strain the juice into a demijohn, top up to about seven pints with cold water add the rest of the ingredients and leave in a warm place to ferment out.
After a few days when the vigorous frothing subsides, top up to the shoulders of the demi john with cold water.
After about two weeks all the bubbling will have stopped, syphon into a clean demi john and add:
one campden tablet and 1 potassium sorbate tablet.

This is the recipe I'm following

I made a couple batches of rhubarb wine last year

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3364

the second lot I did is 17% and has been in two Djs ageing since last last september - looking at my rhubarb in the garden won`t be long before a few more gallons go on :thumb: Hope this helps :cheers:

I did some last year, pretty much the same as your recipe, MD but left the rhubarb in for 3 days before mixing and straining, & I used a yeast that would deal with extra acid can't remember which one but I can find out, the HBS bloke gave it me when I told him I was making rhubarb wine.

It turns out very nice, once done and if you souse a big juicy pork chop in it and serve with rhubarb stewed with a bit of the wine and some sugar Its a real winner.

Edit: sorry didn't notice the citric acid, read too quick don't add that or you will be chewing your teeth for weeks.

UP

Whoever gave you that first recipe is a pratt, I'm sure he must have meant “top up DJ to the base of the shoulder”, and then to the neck when you think it's safe after a week or two.

Other than that, Sean's recipe is pretty similar, still uses dry extraction, quantities vary slightly but you can make that sort of thing up as you go along, according to how much rhubarb you have.

I wouldn't add any tannin and I certainly wouldn't add any acid.

I`d add that it ages well - I have three bottles of my first rhubarb brew and two gallons of my second sat in DJ`s :D

Cheers guy's! I have the mthod and recipe just awaiting the rhubarb! I have 12 plants all ready to harvest in a couple of weeks might get a bumper harvest this year! :party:

Give it at least three months MD before drinking.

I had a bottle off a local brewer at Xmas that was six months old and it was lovely :thumb:

Latest posts

Back