Richard's Red

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

What's the average fermentation time for a 1 gallon batch of Richard's Red?
I've followed the recipe apart from the citric acid and glycerin. I'm 11 full days in and it looks like mine has finished. I've not checked the gravity as yet as I've loaned my hydrometer out to someone.
I know there's no rush at all but I'm just curious as to how far along this might be. Temperature has been reasonably stable at 18c ish throughout.
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom

Cheers. Tom

I tend to make 23l (5 gallon) batches and keep the temp as near 20c as possible and mine take 12 - 14 days (and sometimes a little longer) to stop fermenting.

Brilliant, so it's not that far off then.
I'll give it another week then check the gravity (should have my hydrometer back by then). Have you or anyone else subbed the standard red juice with the merlot juice available from waitrose? Will be passing one of their stores in a few weeks and may pick some up.

Cheers. Tom

Just to clarify the above wasn't specifically for the Richards Red just ferments in general.

Just a bit of an update on Richard's red.
Bagged it last week and I wasn't impressed if I'm honest. Was really tarty and lacked flavour.

However.............

One week later and what a difference. I almost chucked it down the drain before bagging it but thought I'd give it a chance. I'm so glad I did, it's a different wine altogether from just a week ago. I've not finished the box of cc merlot yet so I'm wondering how much better this will get by the time it's needed.
Happy camper :thumb1:

Cheers . Tom

Latest posts

Back