RickBuck Brewery - Muntons Premium Gold Midas Touch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdave

Reaction score
Yesterday was a very productive day on the HB front. I'd taken the day off as we had roofers in to carry out some work and I always make sure I'm at home in these situations. 1) it's good to be there in the event of a problem arising. 2) I get a day at home without the Mrs there. 3) Xbox360 gets a dusting off. 4) Some form of brewing is bound to happen ;)

So, with the roofers working hard and given there first brew (tea/coffee) and bacon rolls I was ready for some brewing. My last brew (Woodfordes Wherry) had been in FV1 for 10 days and the readings had been 1009 for the last few days so into FV2 it went for settling and then bottling this Saturday. Speaking of bottling I treated myself to a bench capper and a bag of caps so this brew will be the first i've bottled using glass bottles (recycled SA Gold, Bombadier Burning Gold and Dutchy Original bottles). I then cleaned out FV1 and all the other bits'n'bobs with a mild solution of VWP and lots of hot water and then made up a 1/4ou to 1ltr water of Star San solution in a spray bottle. Probably a bit overkill using the VWP as well but heyho.

I'd bought the Munton's kit a while back and was very keen to get this one going. I warmed the cans in hot water for a good 20mins and then poured them into FV1 adding 3ltrs of boiled water as per the directions. I then popped the lid on and begun the process of rehydrating the yeast which I'd forgot to do at the start! When the yeast starter was ready I added cold water from the tap up to the 20ltr mark pouring from a height which got it all aerated nicely. I then mixed vigorously and took an OG reading which was 1060 (that'll be the highest reading I've ever had with a kit!) I then added the yeast, gave it another stir and popped the lid on which I had dismantled and cleaned/sanitised earlier (lid is now fitted with an aquarium heater). I turned the heater down from 22 to 21 as the previous brew was holding 21 but the LCD stick-on thermometer was showing nearer 24. I knew the brewing temps had been ok as purchasing a new thermometer had confirmed the actual temps I was achieving compared to what was shown on the LCD one stuck to FV1. I popped in the airlock at around 2pm and nothing happened for the rest of the afternoon and evening. However, this morning the airlock was going like the clappers and the brew had a nice thick foam head forming so jobs-a-good-un :cheers:

Unfortunately, I made a howler of an error which I only realised as I was moving the FV to under the stairs after I'd finished. I'd forgotten to switch off the water softener so I've used softened water in this brew!!! This is the first time I've done this as I've always used bottled water so I suppose if anything it will be interesting to see/taste how it affects the brew and brewing process. The water softener itself is a Harvey's unit which uses salt blocks. The blurb tells you the salt is used to clean/purge ceramic plates which treat the water but I'm not sure that's entirely the case. The water doesn't taste salty but I've never had the water analysed so I've no idea exactly how it's doing its thing. I did think to myself that if there was a mjor problem the yeast and initial fermentation process would be affected by this morning has halted my concerns for now. I'd be really interested to read what you guys think about the softened water issue?

Hmmm, it's quiet in here :grin: Maybe it was the reference to the Xbox that made you think I was a sniveling teen lol. I can assure you I'm just someone who's never grown up but is fast approaching 40 :party:

Anyway, enough waffling lets get on to the ale. I got home last night to the sound of the airlock furiously bubbling away. I checked everything was ok and the temp was showing 20/22 so by my calcs that's more like 18/20 so it's all good after turning down the aquarium heater. I'm still a little concerned about the softened water issue but so far everything seems to be going ok.

Update - Transferred this to FV2 over the weekend just gone. I also cleaned and sterilised another 40 glass bottles in readiness for bottling. I really need to get one of those bottle trees as the Mrs wasn't too impressed to see the majority of kitchen countertop covered in bottles! It smelled really good and the taster I had from taking the Hydrometer reading was very good indeed. Dare I say better that a Wherry!!!

I thought that about the Midas Touch too. I dry hopped mine with EKG for 10 days or so and it remains one of the best kit beers I've brewed.

Bottle trees are the business, they make life very easy indeed.

You do know that you'll need to sterilise all your bottles again just before you bottle...? It's why mine only get de-labelled and rinsed when storing. Then they get sterilised, rinsed and hung on the tree immediately prior to bottling.

The longer you leave them the more likely that something will get in there with the potential of spoiling your beer.

It's another good reason for the bottling tree - the bottles are held neck-down between sterilising and filling reducing the risk of airborne nasties getting in. :thumb:

calumscott, yes the bottles will indeed need sterilising again. I forgot I'd lent out my new capper to a mate to try so the star-san will have to be deployed again on bottling day.

Latest posts

Back