Roasted Barley - Best pre or post mash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewedout

Reaction score
What is the opinion on mashing roasted barley, is it necessary/essential to mash it or could it be put in post mash for the sparge?

I'm sorry if this has been covered previously, but I didn't find any posts in my search!

Wha? Of course you want the flavour out of it! Unless you're doing a black IPA wrong.

In answer to the OP's question, you don't strictly need to mash it but it's by far the easiest way.

It does depend on what beer you are thinking of making.

As James say if its a Cascadian then you don't want lots of roast flavours, so Add it at the end of the mash and sparge.

If its a Porter or a stout, then add it at the beginning.

If you are only using a couple of ounces for colour . . . it's up to you, I always add it to the mash

mm Surprised you will be using Roast Barley in a Mild. I would have thought Chocolate, Black, Brown or even Mild Malt would have been more appropriate. If you are going to use roast barley for colour, then I would suggest adding it to the top of the main mash after the mashing period, stirring it in to the rest of the mashed grains, sparging to give it 1 inch of covering liquor, then leave it for around 10 to 15 minutes before continuing the full sparge. This will give you the colour but not the 'harsh' roast barley flavour.

Just a suggestion and 'good brewing'.

sounds like its pretty well covered-but i also hear you can overnight cold steep if ur interested in only the colour to avoid all astringency and flavour...

Latest posts

Back