Rumour? is Wilko's going into administration?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I know they secured a loan and sold a distribution centre then rented it back to free up some cash but I have just been told they are going into admin from a source but nothing in the news so is it just a rumour/gossip?
Has any other members heard anything as it would be a blow to the homebrew market

I know they secured a loan and sold a distribution centre then rented it back to free up some cash but I have just been told they are going into admin from a source but nothing in the news so is it just a rumour/gossip?
Has any other members heard anything as it would be a blow to the homebrew market
I would say at the moment a rumour but, reading between the lines i would say down the line yes

Well I was expecting it Rod as when you sell a distribution centre to free up cash and then rent it back it looks rather ominous its just I have been told it literally this morning but the source could just be speculation that's why I wondered if somebody else had heard the grapevine rattling

I saw that their own brand beer kits recently came back into stock online, but not seeing them in my local branch. I don't buy online from them any more as their packing is so poor. Everything is always damaged when it arrives. It would be a shame if they went under.

Looks like they tried to keep going by closing stores it'll be a shame to see them disappear from all towns/cities.

Which Wilko stores are closing in 2022? Is your local on the list?

Wilkos has confirmed that it's closing 15 of its stores in 2022—but which Wilko stores are closing and is your local on the list to be scrapped?

In another blow for the high street, 85-year-old everyday essentials retailer, Wilko, is set to be dramatically cut from towns and cities across the UK, and it comes after M&S announced plans to close 30 of its stores(opens in new tab) last year and, more recently, Morrisons plans to close 132 McColl's stores(opens in new tab) after buying the company.

Meanwhile, TSB confirmed it too was closing 70 branches(opens in new tab) in 2021 as a result of people using banks less and both Natwest(opens in new tab) and HSBC announced closures(opens in new tab) in 2022. More recently, it was announced that 18 Halifax branches will be closing(opens in new tab) in 2023.

Wilko said the closures would not affect its new openings or stores relocation programme.

The firm's chief executive, Jerome Saint-Marc, explained, "As a business we're evolving and this includes working with landlords for more favourable terms, as well as looking at locations and store formats.

"We'll continue to pull together to make our business better to secure the future of over 16,000 team members.

"We'll be doing everything we can to support our affected team members who will be offered any available positions in nearby stores.

"We apologise to those communities where stores are closing."

Which Wilko stores are closing?

Wilko currently has 414 stores in the UK but it's been confirmed the following locations are closing:

• Bournemouth
  • Stockton
  • The Fort
  • Shipley
  • Scunthorpe
  • Narborough Road
  • Grantham
  • Redditch
  • Rotherham
  • Skegness
  • Sutton Coldfield
  • Edmonton Green
  • Llanelli
  • Merthyr Tydfil
  • Cleethorpes
The company, which has its headquarters based in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, was formerly known as Wilkinson Cash Stores and Wilkinson Hardware Stores. Despite the name change, Wilko is still a British high street retail chain that sells homewares and household goods and a go-to destination for shoppers to buy essentials.

The company was founded in Leicester by James Kemsey Wilkinson in 1930 and remains in the ownership of the founding family.

https://www.goodto.com/family/family-news/which-wilko-stores-are-closing-643284

Unfortunately you won't find confirmation or sources until they do enter administration. It tends to go unreported so not to spook the current investors or debtors etc and have it become a self fulfilling prophecy.
Looking at their situation and the high street in general I would say they are in the top 5 of big names that could go in 2023 much to the detriment to people's jobs.

Yes a sorry state for us brewers as plenty have got their buckets, Hydrometers, yeast etc from them over the years and the kit brewers will deffo suffer.
My wife goes in our local branch usually twice a week and has been saying for over 6 months some of the shelves are empty and still going on

Yes a sorry state for us brewers as plenty have got their buckets, Hydrometers, yeast etc from them over the years and the kit brewers will deffo suffer.
My wife goes in our local branch usually twice a week and has been saying for over 6 months some of the shelves are empty and still going on
They had 2 in llanelli which was overkill so shutting down overlapping stored makes sense. They do have plenty of HB stock in the remaining branch I bought an emergency packed of gervin ale yeast and buy brewing sugar and airlocks from them on occasion as well as a big stock pot for when I do a partial boil.

There's one right by my office so I go in there a lot, buying homebrew bits and seeds for the garden. Always seems busy but stock levels have been poor for a while, really hope they don't go under, not much else left in town if they do.

The last couple of times I have been there have been many empty shelves and it's been hard to find what I need. Also the homebrew section is now a third of the size it used to be with a much reduced offering (only really kits, yeast and buckets).

Very empty shelves round here also last time I went in a couple of weeks back.

I fear it's only a matter of time. They compete in what is an already crowded market with the likes of B&M, Home Bargains, and The Range doing a lot of similar stuff and they don't seem to do it as well as them. The opened a brand new one in Worcester a few years back, on the high street which is a big mistake IMO, as the city is a pain to get into and park. Out of town would have been a much better idea. Pretty much empty in there the few times I've been in.

They did similar in Warrington moved from a spot with a free car park to a precinct location with underground parking you have to pay for and no trolleys. A pain if you’ve got a lot to carry.

I went in my local Wilko for the first time a few weeks ago to see what homebrew bits they had. Absolutely nothing. I was struggling to work out which section of the shop they would be in, but I looked everywhere and couldn’t find anything.

I wouldn’t go in there for any other reason tbh.

B&M, Home Bargains, and The Range

The last time i was in Wilko was a couple of years ago i dont know about other members stores but there is no parking near our store as its in the town centre, i prefer B&M, Home Bargains, and The Range (we have all three) as they have parking and you don't need to go into town.

Just been to town and went into our local store - located in a small shopping centre which is already earmarked for residential redevelopment (Primark is the only other major shop in there). Not ideal for footfall.
Anyway, it was Tuesday morning so not the busiest time, but can confirm lots of gaps on shelves and a bit of re-arranging of islands since my last visit. The homebrew section is almost bare, I did buy a bag of Muntons spray malt, still just £5 for 500g.
My mega purchases of £6.50 won't help - just hope it will survive, I recognise most of the staff who have been there for years and are always helpful.

Back