S-04 Off Smells

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodape

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of S-04 producing a sulphurous (hope that is the right word, rotten eggs) smell during fermentation. Have heard of it happening with lager yeasts but not heard of it happening to ale yeasts before.

Cheers

I've used it a few times, not encountered that, what temp are you fermenting at? Certainly noticed prominent sulphur in a recent batch of Oktoberfest I did with a lager yeast, this apparently dissipates during secondary fermentation, my quality control taste tests confirm this :)

I've had eggy smells from S-04 before but the beer has been fine. Are you able to taste test the wort?

Just done a taste test, there is no eggy taste, there was a funny after taste to it though. Would this just be the by products of the fermentation? Yeast was only pitched 2 days ago.

A funny aftertaste would be normal at this stage - I think if it was "off" you would have tasted it :thumb:

Latest posts

Back