Saffale US-05 Yeast Characteristics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBilly

Reaction score
Hi All

I currently have an American Pale Ale fermenting away (day 7 in FV) at about 18-20C, I have a semi-clear new style Coopers FV so I can watch the action unfold inside the vessel.

The question I have is, is it in character for the yeast to sit on top of the beer? There is still about 1.5cm foam on top, quite dense, the beer still smell great, no off smells.

Cheers
BrewBilly

I believe ale yeasts are "top-fermenting" and lager yeasts tend to be "bottom-fermenting". Sounds normal to me :-)

A thick yeast layer on top of the wort is normal for US05 in my experience. Nothing to worry about.

I have never used this yeast before so just wondering about some of its fermentation characteristics.

What would be the best way to harvest the yeast afterwards?

If it is still producing a krausan then skim it of the top regularly. If not wait until you transfer to a secondry and keep the yeast cake. Plenty of advice for washing and storing on here. :thumb:

BrewBilly said:
I have never used this yeast before so just wondering about some of its fermentation characteristics.

What would be the best way to harvest the yeast afterwards?

I've got no qualms with saving the entire cake at the bottom and just chucking it back in. hahah. it'll work once or twice, but there are better ways, I think there's a guide in the how to forum :thumb:

I have always used s04.... When I used s05 it was very different, I also notice it stuck to the sides. I to am looking to harvesting it from the cake as it's costing £4.50 a pop

Why are you paying £4.50 for US-05? You can get one packet for £3.30 inc postage from the Maltmiller. Buy several and it's even cheaper.

US-05 will hang around like the mother in law for ages, a regular swirl of the fermenter at the end of primary will settle it down and encourage it to drop. For saving, after bottling or kegging save a bottle or two of the slurry - a couple of pint sized springwater bottles is ideal, and put in the fridge.

It will tend to stay floating even once fermentation is complete. It will eventually drop but will take a while. I find it can foam quite aggressively in higher abv beers (1.070 onwards). It takes a while to clear out, and once bottled it won't make a hard sediment as some British yeasts might, but will keep a slightly viscous slurry at the bottom of the bottle that will get into suspension quite easily.

Latest posts

Back