Sams Smoked porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam.k

Landlord.
Reaction score
So after a bit of research I have decided to try some magical alchemy and create something a little different.

19l brew length
4kg - marris otter pale malt
200g - chocolate malt
150g - special B
150g - terrified wheat
100g - medium peat smoked malt
50g roast barley

30g - bramling cross - 90 mins
20g - bramling cross - 15 mins
20g - fuggles - 15 mins

WLP013 London ale yeast.

one its finished fermenting I am going to rack it onto some whiskey barrel wood chips and leave it to mature for a little while.

god knows how it will turn out but either way it will be interesting.

I show it a picture of GA snarling at the thought of using the devils grain, it's enough to terrify anyone.

I'm a little concerned that I won't get enough smoke flavour from the amount of smoked malt I'm using. I got the stuff today (only 500g) and while it has a smokey smell it's not anything major, I may up the amounts a little.

sam, google throws up that you can use up to 20% peat smoked malt in a batch. it's usually good to go safe but "in there" on these sorts of things, I think.

hope it goes well, good luck!

well I did this yesterday, no pictures as my iphone is refusing to upload to photobucket.
it certainly smells smoky, sadly I managed to break my mash tun so I am either going to have to buy a new one or rethink how I AG brew.

I am waiting for my oak chips to arrive and I have a bottle neck FV coming to mature this in.

righty I have just racked this off of the trub into a bottle neck ferm ready to mature a bit, I also soaked 50g of whiskey barrel chips in some balvenie 12 double wood (only to sterilize them I swear) and dumped that into the fermenter as well.

it smells lovely ATM with a lovely subtle smoky aroma.

The smell today is amazing, very smokey oaky whisky smells coming out of the fermenter.

I'm not sure how long I'm going to mature it on wood for, I guess the longer it's in there the more oaky it will taste?

well its bottled, next time I need to remember to put the oak chips in some kind of bag....

I will let you guess why lol.

Brewuk, the chips smell amazing, the addition of whiskey made them even better.

well nobble me sideways I have just opened a bottle to 'check for infection'.....
the smell is of oak and good whiskey, smoke and chocolate come through
the flavour is of single malt in water, slight sweetness, mild bitterness.

its mouth feel is perfect.

the head sadly is **** but I could happily share this with any brewer as I think it may be my best ever brew, and its only going to get better!

just opened a bottle of this, the head retention is much much better, the whiskey has mellowed (its just detectable now) but the smoke is still there.

very drinkable :)

Latest posts

Back