Sandstone Brewery, Wrexham

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesb

Landlord.
Reaction score
From this thread: Cleaning Cornies - how do yours

Brewery installation was (mainly) today. Pleased to say that it all seemed to go well and Dave Porter is a thoroughly nice chap, and knows far too much about brewing for someone so blessed with youth (that's a tenner thanks Dave).

Bonus - I was doing the electrics and I didn't manage to blow anything up.

First brew tomorrow

Really makes me want to buy a 1bbl for my shed.

Ok dokey. I aim to please.

Not many photos unfortunately, I'll go round and do each bit when I get a chance. The camera memory was full with the missus's photos and I didn't have the laptop with me to take them off.

All here - http://photos.mesb.co.uk/c1599771.html

EDIT: And no, I'm the one behind the camera. I look like my avatar.

eskimobob said:
jamesb said:
First brew tomorrow
jamesb said:
Really makes me want to buy a 1bbl for my shed.

Go on, make me jealous :lol:

I'm pretty sure most of us could design a 1bbl brewery for cheaper than we could buy it from Dave Porter (as nice as his brewerys are). Maybe one day. I'm thinking about getting registered so I can brew beer for some of our beer festivals, or my mate's pubs. I'd only do a few firkins a year. Obviously, a separate operation to Sandstone.

jamesb said:
I'm pretty sure most of us could design a 1bbl brewery for cheaper than we could buy it from Dave Porter
But that is not just what you are buying, its the assistance and consultancy that is so important, and that is well worth the additional.

Important point that you need to consider if you register . . . even if you only do a few firkins a year you do need to submit a monthly return to HMCE even if you don't brew anything that month . . . Do Not miss a return. It also makes brewing at home for personal consumption a tricky point

Aleman said:
jamesb said:
I'm pretty sure most of us could design a 1bbl brewery for cheaper than we could buy it from Dave Porter
But that is not just what you are buying, its the assistance and consultancy that is so important, and that is well worth the additional.

Yes, I agree and that's incredibly important when you've gone and shelled out a few thousand quid on equipment and are looking to make the brewery your livelihood but if you're just buggering around like I am it's not as important.

Important point that you need to consider if you register . . . even if you only do a few firkins a year you do need to submit a monthly return to HMCE even if you don't brew anything that month . . . Do Not[/u] miss a return. It also makes brewing at home for personal consumption a tricky point

Yes, I'm aware of that. I've had a lot of advice from a local small-scale (as in bottles for farmers markets) brewer.

Won't be looking at it for a year or so anyway.

BillyB said:
Just recently Dave Porter installed a micro brewery for The Adur Brewery in my village.
http://www.quaffale.org.uk/php/brewery/1287
http://blog.adurbrewery.com/blog/?m=200807

Mmm - just thought, somewhere to get my yeast! :roll:

Nice photos. Nice brewery too.

Dave suggested we get our respective backsides up to Thwaits to get a bucket of yeast. Apparently it's brilliant stuff. He uses it himself at his Outstanding Brewery.

We're just using S-04 at the moment as it's one we're all familiar with.

graysalchemy said:
Will there be a new thread about a new brewery :whistle: :whistle:

Maybe...

:cool: :twisted: :whistle:

Ok. I'm currently sat in my own premises, with my own kit and I'm in the middle of the second test batch of the day.

Come on as Wez said back in 2008 nearly 6 years ago...............

Wez said:
In case you hadn't guessed jamesb....

we like

Pics!

By the way are you drinking this second test brew :whistle: :whistle:

graysalchemy said:
Come on as Wez said back in 2008 nearly 6 years ago...............

Wez said:
In case you hadn't guessed jamesb....

we like

Pics!

Pics will be forthcoming when it's all put together, it's a building site at the moment.

By the way are you drinking this second test brew :whistle: :whistle:

Just drinking a Sandstone Citrine.

See that is were the expression Moonlighting comes from :lol: :lol: .

Still waiting for pictures :whistle:

Back