Santitation Disaster!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonobo

Reaction score
I was turning the tap on my bucket upward to add sanitation solution prior to racking.

Then disaster struck and beer started leaking from the edges of the tap. Anything I tried to do from the outside of the bucket just made things worse and increased the flow of beer onto the floor.

Then in a panic I took the lid off the bucket and shoved my arm in the beer to tighten the nut from the inside!

All that time taken making sure everything that touched my wort/beer was sanitised, and then I shove my arm in it!

So I guess what i'm asking is what are the chances I've ruined my brew??

How clean was your arm?
I have had to fish for a sunken float before with no harm but made sure my arm was clean.

I've done the same thing in the past and got away with it :thumb:
But I would drink it quick once it's conditioned just to be on the safe side ;)

My hand was clean, but the rest of my arm had been living inside my jumper since my morning shower. Didn't have really have time to sanitise it.

Guess I'm just going to have to hope for the best!

I normally soak my arm in bleach and then rinse with boiling water before attempting such stunts! :D

Dunna worry I reckon it will be fine! Does anyone have an answer to the leak problems as my FV suffers from this. Is this just a case of needing to replace the washers?

I had leaking issues with my fv when using the tap that came with my little bottler. After I had emptied the fv, and got round to sanitising I found a large crack in the tap. I ditched it and got a more robust one (the same as the ones that come with the budget barrels) and have had no problems since.

It will likely be fine. :) I've had some major cock-ups and have yet to create a keg of Sarsons finest. Indeed, the plastic FV that I earlier put 23l of wort into stunk to high heaven and god knows where all them scratches and marks on the inside came from, it looked a right state. Gave it the shower and washing-up liquid treatment then rinsed with a Videne solution and the wort is fermenting nicely in the kitchen and I'll wager it'll be good, it has been on the last 10 brew plus in that condition. Not recommended of course but beer is pretty hardy stuff.

I've had to put my arm in before to mess around with the tap, except when i did it a lump of vaseline fell off the lid and landed in the beer :whistle:, so scooped that out tightened the tap up. Beer tasted fine :cheers:

After id finished bottling my very fist brew I noticed some purple in the bottom of the FV, on closer inspection I found one of my two year olds MY LITTLE PONNEY horses. I didn’t get any infection or any off tastes. Although it only lasted me about 6 weeks.

davesiv said:
After id finished bottling my very fist brew I noticed some purple in the bottom of the FV, on closer inspection I found one of my two year olds MY LITTLE PONNEY horses. I didn’t get any infection or any off tastes. Although it only lasted me about 6 weeks.

Excellent. I do enjoy an ale with a bit of body.

davesiv said:
I bet it had a bit of a kick mind :D

Leglesstwot said:
davesiv said:
I bet it had a bit of a kick mind :D

Well I bet he didn't whine too much.

You'll be fine. The raw, unfermented wort is very susceptible to infection but once the yeast have done their thing the beer's pretty stable. So long as you didn't aerate it too much you'll be ok.

I'd second the advice above about drinking it quickly just in case though, but that would be my advice for most beers :roll:

/Phil.

Phil said:
I'd second the advice above about drinking it quickly just in case though, but that would be my advice for most beers :roll:

Yep, don't think i'll find that advice too hard to follow :D

Thanks for all the reassuring comments. I can relax now!

The funniest one I ever heard was a guy who'd made his kit beer up in his kitchen, something spooked his cat in the garden, it jumped through the open window straight into his wort, he fermented it and got away with it iirc :lol:

Next time bonobo have a small amount of sanitising soltuion on standby.
Use a pipette / syringe or spray bottle to sanitise the inside of the tap spout and the exterior of the spout 'as is'.
Taps always seem to leak when rotated !

That makes a lot of sense, cheers. As an aside, how long can you leave sanitising solution around before it loses it's zing. I find I'm always having to sanitise bits and bobs and its a pain mixing up a solution every time.

Latest posts

Back